Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Should I send tenants a letter part of his security deposit has been used?

The tenants aren't moving, but they have caused a problem that is going to cost me $350.00. Should I just bill them for this, or send them a letter telling them that when they move they can expect now $350.00 less? How would you do it?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Bill them for the damages.  Mark it due within 30 days. Their security deposit is for AFTER they move out.

• 1 month ago

The security deposit remains the property of the tenants until you earn part of it after they have moved out and you successfully prove damages that can be charged against that account. Taking that money now could result in criminal embezzling charges. Bill them, see if they pay it. Offer to sue them if they don't pay within a reasonable time.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A security deposit is to be used AT THE END of their tenancy IF they fail to give the correct notice to leave/ cause damage/ leave junk or a dirty property...it is not used mid term....... you send them a bill along with a copy of your invoice of cost and if they don't pay you take it to small claims court or you wait for them to give notice and leave or you give notice end of their agreement and then remove that amount from the deposit....... you do not inform the tenants about 'what you plan' you just make sure you have photo proof of 'damage' invoice you paid and proof it was because of what they did/breach of their contract that caused it

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Bill them now.......................

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Bill them. Keep billing them. You can even add a reasonable late fee. If they never pay it, you will have easy documentation for withholding that amount from security when they vacate. However, recognize the possibility of there being more damage than the security will cover.

• 1 month ago

Bill them for the repair. If they refuse to pay you an still take it out of the deposit when they move out.

• R P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Send them a bill for the repair

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.