Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Why did the police think something was off?

I called the police because there was a man who's been following me and harassing me multiple times. When the police arrived, I talked to one police man. After I told him the situation, he asked me questions like, "Are you okay? Are you taking your medication? Is English your first language?" I told him I was okay, that I wasn't taking any medication, and that English is my first language. He just shook his head like he couldn't believe it. 

• Edna

I don't think the policeman thought anything was "off' about you - he was just asking you some basic questions about how well (if at all) you knew the guy who was harassing you.

I'm a female and I live alone. There was a guy who was "staying" with my neighbor across the street for a while. I didn't know the guy's name, but I knew what he looked like. It got to where the guy was knocking on my door late at night, almost every night. I always talked to him through the locked screen door, and he would say things to me, such as "You look pretty tonight. Are you okay? - I didn't see you outside today". He usually wanted to know if I would give him a beer. It was getting scary.

One night, after the guy finally went away, I called the police. The policeman who came to my house that night was very polite and courteous to me. He asked me a lot of questions about the guy - where he lived; what he was wearing; what he looked like, etc.. I told him; and I also told the policeman that the guy spoke English, but he was definitely Mexican in appearance.. (Before you start crying "racism" - I'm Caucasian; the policeman was Black; and the guy was Mexican).

The policeman walked across the street to the neighbor's house and had a long talk with the guy and put the fear of God into him. The policeman then walked back to my house and told me he didn't think the guy would bother me again (he had been issued a warning citation for harassment); but if he did, to call the police and they would pick up the guy and he would probably be charged with stalking. The guy never again came back to my door.

• Chanel

He was just testing you to see if you had any mental health problems.

Not all policeman are like him. It sounds like he may have an attitude problem.

Video this guy next time he follows you and say "leave me alone". The camera never lies.

• `

Obviously, there's more to this story. Let's hear it.

Police officers are trained to look for any anomalies in someone's story so perhaps there was something about your manner over the phone that caused concern. This may not have been your intention but you are not responsible for how someone else interprets your words and behavior.

Ask the policeman's mom

The police have had some experience with people who really believe they're being stalked or harassed, but who are making mountains out of molehills, or fantasizing without any basis in fact.  He was probably trying to figure out whether there was an actual problem.

It takes some wisdom to determine what's real and what's unreal about such situations.  My advice:  If the problem continues, try to take pictures with your cell phone, try to talk with a different policeman, and see about making a formal written complaint.

maybe cause someone told him that

There is lots of people who don't consider stalking a crime even though it is. I had a stalker and when I told a guy friend of mine, he thought it was funny and "the beginning of a love story" while I was disgusted and terrified of my stalker. I could not get my friend to understand. Try talking to a different police officer.

• A C

Maybe your story didn't add up and they think you are just seeking attention.

Who knows. I can't tell what they were thinking or how you told them.