I’m making hand knitted blankets and I want to sell them to friends. What’s a good price?

How much should I charge for a 6ft x 6ft blanket? What sounds reasonable for a blanket. I don’t wanna over price them because I want to sell them, but if I price them to low I will be loosing money. How much is to much? Advice from anyone who’s done this?

• C
    Best Answer

You need to do some research and math, first.

How much yarn will it take to make a throw? What you've described is too small to be marketed and sold as a blanket. That would be misleading.

How much will that much yarn cost? How long will it take you to make one?

What is the market for hand knitted blankets in your area? Are there *enough* of people with *enough* disposable income who will buy a handmade blanket. instead of buying something similar for $35 on Amazon? Pottery Barn claims their 44" x 56" throw is hand knit, and is charging $118 for one, and the customer gets to choose the color.

I think a hand knitted blanket would be a wonderful gift for someone you love. I think the number of people who will pay a fair price for a hand knitted throw is really, really small. The majority of people just won't appreciate how much labor is involved. Even with your employee discount, the materials may cost more than a ready made blanket.

Sadly, I suspect your 'friends' don't have any idea how much the materials will cost, how long it will take to make one, and think you will charge them something like $25 to make a blanket. I was in a similar situation. A girl in one of my classes asked me to make her a ballroom dancing dress. She approved the design and the price, I took the measurements and made the dress and - she changed her mind. Our mutual friends pressured her into paying and taking the dress (we had a contract for it) but it was awkward. I'm sure you're really talented, but doing business with friends can be tricky under the best of circumstances. Friends quite often expect a hefty discount. It sounds nice, but it's not. You'll be teaching them that hand crafted things aren't worth much - just the opposite of what's true.

Rule #1 for business: You NEED to make money doing business with people who like, or at least feel neutral about you. Your enemies will spend their money elsewhere.

set a rate for how many dollars per hour you want to make and figure out about how long it took to make it. take the hours times the rate youve set and add that to the amount you spent on materials. if they question the price or say its too high just explain how you reached the price. you worked hard on it, you deserve fair compensation

That depends on the cost of your materials, your labour time and what you want to profit.

How much did the yarn cost you? It could be $20, it could be $200, depending on the type of yarn you've chosen.

How long did it take you and what do you want your hourly wage to be? 20 hours at $10 per hour is $200 in labour. Realistically, you're not going to get that for your work.

I sell some things that I crochet but I realize it's a side gig and I don't make a lot of profit doing it but it's something I enjoy doing in my spare time.

Honestly, there's no money to be made here. Figure at least minimum wage (that's $7.25 per hour) for labor, plus materials. A blanket will take probably 30+ hours, so that's more than $200 in labor. I've been working on a double-knitted blanket for a while now. It's made up of 48 squares. Each square takes me roughly 10 hours, so that's 480 hours of knitting. That's on top of the yarn (almost $800) plus prep time to map out charts for each square. If I were to sell it, it would be several thousand dollars.