Is koko the gorilla a unique 'experiment' where man raised animal or can any gorilla be raised to be like koko?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • CRR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

Ape signing, when shown to users of American Sign Language (ASL), was not understood as ASL, despite the claims that the apes were in fact learning ASL. Seidenberg theorizes that the television documentaries of *Koko* and Washoe gained wide acceptance because the utterances shown were selected in advance for filming and represented the apes’ best efforts. Their performances did not reflect what they did on a regular basis.

• 1 month ago

Gorilllas, and many other animals are highly intelligent. If only animals could talk the way we do, humans would have to treat them with far more respect.

Koko was not unique, but a normal intelligent gorilla.

• JimZ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Gorillas and other apes are far more intelligent than many people feel comfortable with. Humans are uniquely very skilled at language but apes can pick up some of it and become somewhat proficient. Even my cat understands some words. Some people seem to be threatened by animal intelligence and animals have been unfairly downgraded in my opinion.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There were several ape language experiments done in the 70s (and until the apes died). I don't think they'd pass ethics requirements these days.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Well, KoKo was raised by vets and primatologist, doctors in their field even animal behavior.

Yea, about any gorilla never knowing its own kind could be like Koko.

I hand nursed a baby mouse, never knew mama or even saw his own kind.

Smart bugger, probably though he was just a different human.

These smart animals have their own individual personalities and behaviors reflect their life's experiences and teachings. Yea, you could have a different Koko, but likely a very different personality.

• It is clear that Koko had self awareness and could converse using sign language to answer questions, to ask for things, and to make statements about what was going on around her. See the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmwVvRhCNDU

Youtube thumbnail

Kanzi, a bonobo, also has shown great intelligence. See the video in the two link below. You must click on the links to see the videos because only one live video can be seen in a posting here on Yahoo! Answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBUHWoFnuB4

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRM7vTrIIis

Youtube thumbnail

You can see from the videos that @CRR doesn't know what he is talking about.

• Henry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Harambe became famous. Who's koko the gorilla?

• 1 month ago

She had an IQ of 90. higher that many adults.

I guess we will have to raise more like her to know just how smart gorillas can be.

Chimps too as they are also quite clever.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.