Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

lunch detention-can i refuse to let my school enforce it against my child?

I am in IL

My daughter is in 9 grade and was given lunch cleaning detention for having her phone out during class. I do not feel like my daughter should be doing free janitorial duty for detention. For lunch detention students are supposed to wipe the tables, sweep the floor and mop the floor. Can i tell the school that my daughter will not be doing this detention?As a parent do i have that right?

Sounds like you deserve detention. Maybe you should do clean-up with her.

• Katie

She either does the lunch detention or be excluded from school (which will go on her school record).

She does the crime...she does the TIME.  That is how LIFE WORKS. Don't care about YOUR feelings.  She knew the rules and chose to ignore them.  You getting involved should not happen.  She has to learn from her mistakes, herself.  Mommy is not going to be there all the time to pull her butt from the fire.

It is called TOUGH LOVE.

• Kate

The school has rules, she broke them. There are consequences for breaking the rules and if you interfere you will be doing here no favours as she will feel entitled.

You can tell the school that your child will not be performing lunch detention. However school can escalate the discipline to the point of suspension and maybe even expulsion depending on their rules.

as a parent you have the right to homeschool your child. that's about it. would you prefer that the school collect the offending phone until you, in person, come to the office to collect it? this is done in some districts and if that's a hardship on the parent ... they're more likely to reinforce the lesson, aren't they?

btw, in my district, any phone seen out during a test or quiz results in an immediate zero for the entire paper. and if that causes problems relating to passing the class ... student was in academic trouble already and thus flunking is the correct outcome

• Charly1 month agoReport

You are wrong, the parent has a right to decide how school discipline the child

• Laurie

Sure... if you want to raise an irresponsible, entitled child.

She broke the rules, now she has to pay for it. Shut up. You're the reason she's being punished. You haven't taught her anything.

No you can't do that

• Charly1 month agoReport

parents have that right, but school has a right to suspend the student and even expel them from school

You could volunteer to do it with her.