Can you get a good job without a degree?

If someone has programing skills, can hi/she land a job?

Sure, you can learn almost anything you put your mind to even if you don’t go to school for it. You can try Sales, Programming etc. it will come with a learning curve but it is more than doable.

Ofcourse why not. Having a good job is not based on a degree. Just go and apply, learn the process, work hard and do best at all times. Godbless. :))

No. Not a programing job.

• B

sure. however, the programming is generally looked upon as a degree in computer science, so try it.

If you can prove to companies that you can do the job well, even without a college degree, then yes. The issue is proving it to potential employers.

If you can positively contribute to open-source projects, that can help quite a bit in getting a programming job. However, most employers for programming/CS jobs typically require a 4 year college degree in Computer Science or a closely related field.

i dont see why not, i heard you can make good money with sales

I had no degree when I started working for a bank in a very low position. I worked my way up by taking college classes and finally became an application consultant which was an assistant vice president. I worked up from operator, programmer, etc.

This was long ago and these days there is a lot of competition. You should at least have an associates degree but many companies want engineers.

Sure, but you had better be a spectacular programmer. I know someone with an excellent job at a major social media company without any degree whatsoever...but they are the exception to the rule that education will get you ahead.

• Judy

There are many good jobs available without a degree, if you have the skills and experience required.

This is rare, though, in programming.

• Rick B

Most companies prefer a degree for programmers. Trades like welding, plumbing, electrical, etc. make good money without a degree. But they require training and certification.