Anonymous

Chronic Migraines and I'm only 19, is disability a possibility? ?

I'm 19 years old, I just lost my first "real" job because of my chronic migraines. My doctor is still trying medications before sending me to a neurologist. Could I still apply for disability or should I wait for my doctor to figure out a solution? It's really hard finding a job that's flexible on medical conditions/limitations where I live without being a cashier. 

• David

Maybe it's something you eat.

• Judith

Wait. In order to get social security or SSI disability the medical records must show that you will be unable to be gainfully employed for AT LEAST ONE FULL YEAR. If you filed now they would have no option but to deny the claim. Waste of everyone's time.

NOTE: Being denied and filing an appeal or a new claim does NOT make it more difficult to apply and get. I will say this; in the 32 years I was a claims rep (and I specialized in disability for 8 of them) I never knew of one single claim being approved on the basis of migraines alone. In fact if someone had migraines that would not have been the reason why they were approved; they would have been approved for some other severe medical condition.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
  • I'd wait a bit, until the doctor can honestly report that you have tried treatment and it has not been effective. Since you just lost your first job, you really can't say you are going to be out of work for at least a year on account of migraines. If you apply now you are likely to be denied and that will make it more difficult to apply and get it if your migraines worsen and more treatments are tried. Wait until a neurologist has a more exact diagnosis han chroic migraines.