Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

Will the government take care of us in the event of natural disaster?

If, for an example, something big like an asteroid smashing into Earth, wiping out a continent, or the underground volcano in Yellowstone erupts, displacing millions of people...

They got it all under control, right?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Of course not. What could they do?

• 1 month ago

Yes

They will all run for the Hills

• 1 month ago

Depends on the size of the disaster... But, as evidenced by Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Sandy, or 9/11 - don't count on the government to 'take care of you'...  Stash some clothes, food, fuel, and a medical kit to take care of yourself until help arrives, or you can get far enough away from the disaster (if that's possible). The government is there for 'assistance' - it's not necessarily a 'safety net' - they'll help you up, but they may not catch you if you fall...

• Sharon
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

asteroid impacts are more a Hollywood fantasy than a real concern. Catastrophes like Hurricane Sandy are much more common, and very strongly suggest depending on governmental aid is bound to be a big disappointment.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The USA goverment does have interagency exercises for an asteroid impact.  

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/04/1904...  

That is only ONE government. How well did Russia manage a real asteroid impact the size of a bus in 2013. 

Yellowstone is NOT overdue for a super eruption. As long as the geysers keep going off, pressure is NOT building up in the magma chamber. I am more worried about My. Rainier doing a lateral eruption iike Mt. St Helen's did in May 1980. Maybe you could learn some lessons from Moore, OK and greater New Orleans after Katrina. You CANNOT count on the government to save you, but Oklahoma is prepared for tornado swarms. Please don't panic when Norman tests the tornado sirens at noon on Saturdays. But a gunshots at 3:15 am would startle anyone. 

• Fred
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

You could expect government or volunteers in a large disaster to bury the dead in an industrial effort before disease went critical and took out all survivors and little else.

Why do you limit your question to "the event of natural disaster?" The first thing I entertain is a 'thermonuclear exchange'!

• Rowan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There are millions of homeless now, they predict climate change will have the sort of effects you're talking about, it's like it is an asteroid coming, they see it coming, they know it will probably hit, yet they're not doing what is necessary to reduce our risk, to prepare for harm minimization, stopping carbon emissions, all of that. I mean, the government basically exists to get soldiers and workers for the rich elite, to protect their wealth. They put it together, as the people in power, originally kings, going back to the feudal system. It hasn't changed much, they do things for themselves, maybe with a small afterthought for everyone else, if they even do that. 

• Sammy
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

I think Frank Zappa said it best: " What they do in Washington, they just takes care of number 1. And number 1 ain't you, you ain't even number 2. "

• 1 month ago

You gotta be kidding.

• 1 month ago

They would try to, but only after they take care of themselves first.

• 1 month ago

If a giant asteroid smashed into Earth, there would be no saving anyone. Hundreds of millions would die at that moment, and the rest of the population in the months following.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.