Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

How do you not feel like an asshole and just be happy?

I’ve been struggling with infertility for a while now I’ve wanted kids since I was little. It’s been fives years of no success and it’s taking its toll. And today my best friend just told me she’s pregnant and having twins. Which I use to always say I wanted and she would alway say she never wanted kids. But of course she’s happy now and decided to share the beautiful news with her bestie. And tell me how she wants me to come help her and I stayed happy and joyful on the phone but as soon as we hung up it felt like someone punched me in the gut and I immediately started crying. It feels like a cruel joke that the world is playing on me. I want to to be happy for her and help. But literally everytime I think about it, it just hurts and I kind of don’t really want to be around her. So tired of everything.

• Foofa

Write her a well thought out email that stresses your happiness for her but also the envy you can't help but feel as someone who's struggled with infertility. Explain that while you'll always be there for her if she really needs you it's very difficult for you emotionally to be involved in her day to day issues with the pregnancy. Also if you're five years in and haven't yet done IVF cycles it's probably time to get a new doctor and move on to some of the procedures that have great success rates.

• Candi

Honestly be thankful you are going to be their favorite auntie :)