Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Is it right to say "a lot of us's"?

Because I can't think of other ways to say it

Because I can't think of other ways to say "a lot of us's" with the same meaning

I mean like his, hers, the people’s, not the plural

Best Answer

Could you complete your sentence with "us's" in it so we can get context?

If you are saying something like " A lot of us's books..." then replace "us's" with "our."

The apostrophe 's' you have at the end of 'us' implies ownership. But maybe I'm missing how you are trying to use the word. A sentence would help.

• defend liberty
      1 month agoReport

I see. If you are trying to say there are different perceptions, not just one shared perception among many, then make 'perception' plural: "The perceptions of many of us may fail to..."

Otherwise, "I wonder if - for many of us - our perception on women..."

• RP

No. It should be a lot of us or many of us.

• John P

Write it as "a lot of us" Nowhere in using English could I ever imagine writing "us's".

You could say "A lot of us went to the pub last night", and "A lot of us drive cars" and all sorts of ideas of similar sort. "That source of water belongs to a lot of us" is an example of the possessive use of that expression, you could not use: "That source of water is lots's of us" - that is totally wrong.

Note that "a lot of us" does not include "everybody". "A lot of us drive cars, but my neighbour has never had a car".

There are indeed many ways to write about "most of us" or "a large number of us". I am not sure quite who you want to include in "his, her, the people's". (Note "her" as the exact equivalent of "his" when describing an object [not "hers"]).

• John P
      1 month agoReport

Actually it would be better to use "That source of water belongs to many of us" - that feels more natural in British English. Americans etc might have different ideas.

lol. many of us .... think youz is wrong.

• Cara

I think you must mean "our." As in "We have just given away a lot of our books" or "A lot of our friends are coming over." Is that what you mean?

• Kieth

There is no plural for the word us. Just like we, they, or them.

• Kieth
      1 month agoReport

Improper sentence structure. We are, he is, she is, they are, not we be, he be, she be, they be. Not us's books, our books. Not us's are going to the movies, we are going to the movies.

Say what? Us?

EDIT: Since "Us's" isn't a word, we don't know what it means, so I can't give you another way to say it, since I don't know what you are talking about in the first place. How does "A lot of us" mean anything different?

Based on the example... A lot of people's perceptions on women....