Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Is it right to say "a lot of us's"?

Because I can't think of other ways to say it

Update:

Because I can't think of other ways to say "a lot of us's" with the same meaning

Update 2:

I mean like his, hers, the people’s, not the plural

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Could you complete your sentence with "us's" in it so we can get context?

If you are saying something like " A lot of us's books..." then replace "us's" with "our."

The apostrophe 's' you have at the end of 'us' implies ownership. But maybe I'm missing how you are trying to use the word. A sentence would help.

• defend liberty
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I see. If you are trying to say there are different perceptions, not just one shared perception among many, then make 'perception' plural: "The perceptions of many of us may fail to..."

Otherwise, "I wonder if - for many of us - our perception on women..."

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. It should be a lot of us or many of us.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Write it as "a lot of us" Nowhere in using English could I ever imagine writing "us's".

You could say "A lot of us went to the pub last night", and "A lot of us drive cars" and all sorts of ideas of similar sort. "That source of water belongs to a lot of us" is an example of the possessive use of that expression, you could not use: "That source of water is lots's of us" - that is totally wrong.

Note that "a lot of us" does not include "everybody". "A lot of us drive cars, but my neighbour has never had a car".

There are indeed many ways to write about "most of us" or "a large number of us". I am not sure quite who you want to include in "his, her, the people's". (Note "her" as the exact equivalent of "his" when describing an object [not "hers"]).

• John P
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Actually it would be better to use "That source of water belongs to many of us" - that feels more natural in British English. Americans etc might have different ideas.

• 1 month ago

lol. many of us .... think youz is wrong.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cara
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think you must mean "our." As in "We have just given away a lot of our books" or "A lot of our friends are coming over." Is that what you mean?

• Kieth
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There is no plural for the word us. Just like we, they, or them.

• Kieth
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Improper sentence structure. We are, he is, she is, they are, not we be, he be, she be, they be. Not us's books, our books. Not us's are going to the movies, we are going to the movies.

• 1 month ago

Say what? Us?

EDIT: Since "Us's" isn't a word, we don't know what it means, so I can't give you another way to say it, since I don't know what you are talking about in the first place. How does "A lot of us" mean anything different?

Based on the example... A lot of people's perceptions on women....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.