Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Is a fifty minute commute awful?

I recently got offered a job in one of the most biggest/evolving cities in my state. The only con is that the rent in this area is a tad pricey for me since I am just starting out in the work field. I found an apartment that would be fifty minutes away from my job (mostly a interstate commute), but my sibling thinks it's more logical to stay closer to my job. 

To live closer to my job is 850-1,000 in rent and then of course I have to pay utilities and internet/cable. The apartment I found is a University apartment near my college I just recently graduated from. They cover water, electricity, wi-fi, heating and air, but I'd have one roommate.

What do you all think? Should I bust my *** to stay in the inner city? or live on the outskirts comfortably and save my money to move into the inner city next year? My sibling thinks I'm not making the best decision because commuting gets very old and tiring - but I'd rather commute to my job than to live in the inner city and struggle to stay afloat.

Please keep in mind, where I'm originally from (a small town), everyone does fifty minute commutes and I've done it in the past for 3 months and it didn't bother me. I commuted for 8 dollars when I was younger, now I'm getting paid much more.

What would the costs be for commuting? (think additional wear and tear on the car; gas etc)

No. A 1 1/4 commute to work is awful - and 1 1/2 hours home. No life. No time for a life. Retired early though & I'm taking full advantage of my time now.

• Amy

Let's say you wake up at 6, leave at 7, work 8-5, get home at 6, cook and eat dinner by 7, and go to bed at 10. That leaves you just 3 hours to do everything else you need or want to do: grocery shopping, watch TV, answer emails, etc.

A fifty minute commute by train is fine because it's somewhat-free time that you can spend on anything you can do on a smartphone. Fifty minutes of driving twice a day is a lot of time to waste on driving. And a lot of CO2 exhaust.

It sounds like you're too young to have a family. If you do eventually have kids, you'll want time to spend with them before their bedtime, and you'll want to be nearby enough to get home early if e.g. the babysitter can't make it.

How much money will you save by living about an hour away? Add up how much more in gas you will spend, insurance possibly going up, wear on the car and repairs. Then subtract that from the difference between the rent/utilities of each place. If you are saving more than $300 a month then it is worth it possibly. If it is less than that then you really have to look if the time is worth it. Also remember with a roommate it means less privacy.

No. But I live in the Tri state area.

Personally, I wouldn't make a commute that long. You're going to be spending two hours every day in your car. You'll also be paying for gas and wear on the car, which adds up. My in-laws commute 80 miles each way for work and have a pair of SUVs. A few years ago, when gas prices were close to $5 per gallon, they were paying over $1,000 per month in gasoline for the commute. If you're close to work and can take public transportation or walk or bike, that will save you money and should be factored in to the housing costs. You might look into getting a roommate in a place closer to work, since you don't seem to be averse to sharing an apartment.

• DEBS

Compare the costs of both.

$1000 vs ????? (you didn't say)

Figure out the difference in commute miles and therefore fuel costs. Figure more maintenance as well.

Then decide how much your time is worst. If you're not doing anything useful during that time if you're not commuting, then it's just resting time.

Also, it's typically wise to get away from your HS and college after you graduate so that you have time to grow into the next phase of your life. You can always be part of that when you want, but it's tough when you stay in the same environment and expect to grow beyond it as a person.

• Judy

I have done that long a commute. It's not fun but you do get used to it. Some things to think about though. Are you in an area where that 50 minute commute often turns into 2 hours due to snow and ice? How do you feel about a roommate vs. living alone?

• Briana1 month agoReport

No I don't live in an area where 50 minutes turns into 2 hours. Fifty minutes is usually fifty minutes. I don't mind a roommate since I'm used to it (I just recently graduated)

My commute is longer...take whatever job you can get using phrases like "most biggest." Did you really write that and think it was OK???

• Briana1 month agoReport

I take it that your job is in education *rolls eyes*

Fifty minutes ain't so bad. Even living within the city itself, a regular commute takes about 30 minutes.