can a employer fire an employ for leaving job after she finds out son is missing?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Yes is he has every right to do so despite it being unethical.

• 1 month ago

If the employer has no natural affection and doesn't care anything is possible doesn't make it right or ethical but with the law that was passed anyone can get fired without a legit reason even if the person had a good work record . Hope her son is ok .

• 1 month ago

in america, under most state laws, yes

• 1 month ago

Depends on the location. In some states an employer can fire you for any reason. In others the employer needs good cause to do so. But before you cry wolf, don't guess why you were fired, actually call and find out. The employer may have good cause.

• linkus86
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I was trying to be inclusive, and to not generalize (leading to misinformation). I should have added whether or not under an employment contract or part of a trade union.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes.

Absent of a union or a specific job contract, we are all "at will" employees. We can be fired for any reason or for no reason at all just as we are free to quit our jobs, no explanation needed.

Leaving a job without out prior authorization from your supervisor may be cause for dismissal.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

True that you CAN  be fired for "any reason", but some reasons are illegal and you can sue for wrongful termination, seeking compensation for their illegal act against your rights.

• 1 month ago

Well if she didn't tell the employer what was going on the employer doesn't have to fire her. If you walk off the job without saying anything it's considered quitting. Just saying the lack of details here leaves it wide open. If the employee said to the employer my child has gone missing can I leave it is STILL up to the employer, and if the employee leaves after being told no then it's still considered quitting. 

• 1 month ago

Yes.. .........................

• 1 month ago

Yes, they can fire you.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Could, yes. Should would be a whole different matter.

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

majority of people work at an at will employment. meaning companies can let you go for any reason, at any time, often without giving a reason. so technically, yes they can do that.

but this is where communication is important. and you should call you manager or even HR of your situation and then if they still won't let you go search for your son, then that choice is up to you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.