Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 month ago

I'm sure I have undiagnosed autism but my parents don't believe me. What should I do?

They keep telling me that if you had autism you wouldn't be able to talk at all or look at people in the eye. Omg they're so ignorant and not accepting of the truth.. I really want to get evaluated for it because I know I have autism.. I can't talk to people I don't know well..I could be having a heart attack and dying on the streets and be unable to ask for help. It's very serious my parents understimate so much which infuriates me.

What should I do

Best Answer

That's not autism. You might be on the asperger's spectrum, or actually have social anxiety. Every teen these days THINKS they have social anxiety because they get nervous speaking in front of the class. But you may actually have it. Stop using the word "autism", which terrifies your parents, and say that you'd like to talk to someone about a diagnosis of social anxiety. There are medications that can help.

• Lili
      4 weeks agoReport

There's no "Asperger's spectrum". What used to be called Asperger's is now just referred to as being on the autism spectrum.

• Lili

Get a teacher or school counselor to recommend that you be evaluated. If that doesn't work, you will have to wait until you are 18 and can see a therapist on your own.

Plenty of people on the autism spectrum ARE able to communicate and even socialize with others. What you describe isn't necessarily an indication of autism.

Are you a minor? do you have a school counselor you can talk to?

if you are an adult, you can get evaluated on your own.

do you know what type of services you may want to get such as school accommodations or work accommodations?

• SimplytheFACTS
      1 month agoReport

if there are no services you need, a formal diagnosis does not matter

Shyness and social anxiety are not the same as autism.  That noted, you may have a physiological and or psychological condition that could be eased with diagnosis and treatment.  

Speak with a trusted teacher, coach, or guidance counselor about your concern and desire to be tests.  Speak with your family doctor they next time you go in for anything.  These professionals can recommend and even order tests if they are deemed necessary.

When trying to convince someone to do something or change their mind, you have to understand the core reasons they have for not doing so.  For example, are your parents worried about the cost of testing or treatment?  Are they concerned about the "stigma" of an autism diagnosis?  

You also have to ask yourself why this is so important to you.  Are you looking for a "cure" or relief from some challenges or an excuse?  How would you feel if you were tested and found NOT to be on the autism.  spectrum?  

Good luck.

https://www.autismspeaks.org

• Mark

When you go to the doctor (let me guess: they keep you locked in your room and never take you to the doctor), confide in him/her your suspicions. That's what you should do. By the way, the ONE symptom you describe is also shared by people who are a 3-letter word: S H Y.

• Mark
      1 month agoReport

You say "stupid" a lot... That's kind of... "stupid"... ;-)