I just had my oil changed in my 2005 Mercury Mariner and the oil light is coming on when im at an idle but goes off when im rolling.?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

They could've damaged the oil pressure sensor while they were underneath your truck changing your oil filter, or your low on oil. Either way, have it inspected.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Check the oil level with the dipstick. It could be low.

• Poppy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Might consider checking the oil level, might be low. Could also be a pressure issue needing a mechanic. Either way fix it instead of driving while waiting for an answer.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Take it back there. They have a responsibility to do the job right. But before you do that, check the oil level. If it's low don't drive it, have it towed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Low oil pressure. They used the wrong oil, wrong filter or not enough oil.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Gee, that doesn't sound good. So, do you have an actual question to ask about it, as required by the question-answer format? Just whining about the situation does not constitute a question. FAIL. Try again.

• Ian K
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

1.  Check oil level.

2.  If oil level is good, replace oil pressure sender (sensor).

3.  If light still stays on at idle, have a shop check oil pressure with actual gauge.

4.  If pressure is indeed low, have pump checked.

5.  If pump is good, may have bigger engine issues.

Also, wrong weight oil can cause issues...

• Anon1 month agoReport

Also, some filters have check valves. Some vehicles not designed to run with them, or, valve might not open at low pressure. Motorcycles often cant use car filters for this reason.

• 1 month ago

#1 Check the oil level immediately. As in, do not run the engine any more and check the oil level before starting the engine or driving the car anywhere else. If the oil level shows full on the dipstick, then move to #2.

- If the oil level is indeed very low, as in below the level the dipstick can read, then I'd have the car towed back to the shop who changed the oil, being sure to NOT add oil before hand and to leave the low oil level as-is so it can be seen and documented by the shop who underfilled it. From there, I'd have that shop (or perhaps a different one, depending on who did the oil change) evaluate the engine for other damage possibly caused by running it with a very low oil level. I definitely wouldn't just settle for the shop dumping more oil in after the fact - if the level was really low then serious damage could have already been done. They have (or should have...) insurance for that kind of a major screw-up and I'd definitely insist that they make a claim on it so that your car gets fully checked out free-of-charge (to you). It's the least they could do if they indeed underfilled the oil upon changing it.

#2 - If the oil level was full, then you've probably either got a failing oil pressure sensor, a failing oil pump, or some other condition (sludge clogging the oil pump pickup, some other oil passage(s) being clogged, or even significant long-term bearing/engine wear for example) causing the low oil pressure. If that's the case, I would get the car to a shop however you feel is necessary (tow it if you're not sure it's safe/smart to drive as-is) and hope that it's something simple/cheap to fix like a failing oil pressure sensor. Good luck.

• Anon1 month agoReport

Also could be wrong weight oil, incorrect filter. Some have check valves, some cars not designed for these or valve won't open at idle pump pressures.

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You are short, either they did not put enough in or one of the more common things that happen, they did not reinstall the plug or filter properly, so you're leaking. If they happened to strip the threads on the plug, they won't admit it, you'll never know, but you'll have to have the oil pan replaced. This is another thing that has become common.

• Anon1 month agoReport

There are replacement, oversized bosses and plugs.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

when your engine is cool. Pull the Dip Stick.

I believe you will find you are a quart short of full.

When the engine is advanced there is enough oil flowing to trip the sensor.

When at idle the oil is returning to the sump, not leaving enough to keep the sensor off.

You may also have an oil drip, the Filter is not seated properly, put a news paper under the engine, to see if it is noticeable

It could also be an engine seal, more difficult to locate.

Go back to the service centre.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.