Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 month ago

Is paraformaldehyde safe as a catalyst in cosmetics?

Hi, I am making a new body wax to sell. I have a supplier that is selling a very interesting ingredient but I happen to know it contains paraformaldehyde. They claim there is no formaldehyde left in the raw ingredient, that it is only used as a catalyst, and that the end product is safe and natural. So my question is, is paraformaldehyde safe as a catalyst in cosmetics?

• John P

Do not take any answer you get on a site like this as the only truth about any chemical which you want to use on the human skin.

As soon as I saw the word "formaldehyde" connected with the human body I went into shock mode! Get face-to-face opinions from people who you know are chemists or biologists who know about such matters. Even if "paraformaldehyde" is "safe", I imagine that many people would not buy your cosmetic simply because of the word "formaldehyde". Never take "They claim" as the truth.

I do not know where you might want to sell that cosmetic, but in many parts of the world there are legal regulations about what may and may not be used in such products. You would be well advised to check "consumer regulations" where you are.

• keerok

I don't know the exact answer to that but I know for a fact that formaldehyde is what embalmers inject to dead people's blood vessels to keep it from rotting during the wake and to make this relevant to the section of Cameras, I say f/16, 1/125s, ISO 100.

• Frank

Your cosmetic question is in cameras? Why?

• avvi1 month agoReport

Oops.. Yeah, sorry about that..

The safety of Formaldehyde has been assessed by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) Expert Panel. The CIR Expert Panel evaluated the scientific data and concluded that Formaldehyde in cosmetics and personal care products was safe to the great majority of consumers for use as a preservative in cosmetics at concentration levels that do not exceed established limits and in nail hardening products in the present practices of use and concentration.

Only one way to find out.