If I have $30 to put into stocks, what should I buy?

Yes, I know, $30 is nothing and won’t get me any profit. I’m young and broke but want to learn about stocks, and it would be fun to own some to watch and learn from. 

Study the market and save your $30. Imagine you've got $10,000 or more and keep a log of each make-believe trade you make. Continue saving at this time and you'll eventually have enough to invest once you're knowledgeable. Good luck!

I guess penny stocks.

Sorry about all the answers from haters on here. Sheesh.

There are brokers that have no minimum for deposit. TDAmeritrade, Etrade, Firstrade etc... These brokers also have no fees. I opened an account with $50 on Ameritrade just for some of their features...it can definitely be done. These jokers have no idea what they are talking about.

These brokers also have no fees. I started with Firstrade...no account minimum and no fees...then later traded most of my account to a different broker (just because the other other broker has better availability of shares to short).

When we start, we usually blow up our accounts and lose money. I did....I lost thousands of dollars. You probably will lose too. I'd rather lose $30 in a small account that $30k or $300k in a large account.

They say you should only invest what you can afford to lose....$30 sounds reasonable to me.

With $30 you have to buy stocks (can't short them)...so you are limited there. You also obviously can't buy something that costs over $30...AMZN at 1800 or NFLX at 275...so your options are limited. I would recommend researching as much as possible before jumping in to anything, and when you do go with one or more large companies (depending on how much each stock costs)....and not playing the small cap game. Only play the small cap game when you understand how it works....when you are comfortable reading SEC filings, understand offerings, understand the nature of the small cap in general.

You can invest in companies that you like and that you use their stuff. That can make it fun. Look at it as a long term investment (you can't buy and sell everyday due to pattern daytrader rule). Keep reading....learn more....Try to diversify as much as you can (don't put it all in one stock as you buy more and more).

Have fun. I can't believe these losers were so negative with you! It's $30...you aren't going to the poor house if you lose it, you can learn at lot through the process, and you can have fun.

PS...my comments of course are just suggestions...you do what you think you should do and make sure to always put in your own due diligence.

Keep your money safe and keep saving, and don't think about investing until you have read articles and books on the subject and gain a basic understanding and begin to develop a plan with setting goals an important part. If you don't do this, you have no plan and you are just throwing money at something you don't understand.

• Steve

Wait to accumulate some more money. Maybe $500. Until then you can try a stock simulator online. You can learn about stocks through that and websites like investopedia.com and nasdaq.com. I think there is a stock simulator on investopedia, but you can do a keyword search on google for one. Using one of those is a good start to learn because you are not using your own real money. Dont get too confident using a stock simulator, though, because a great result on one of those will not necessarily mean you will be great at this in actual life. Best of luck to you!

• Bill

Your $30 would buy you a basic book in investing. Once you had devoured and understood the material, spend your next $30 on a more advanced text.

Do not sign or invest in anything you do not understand.

If you want to practice investing, follow a few stocks on Yahoo Financial until you understand the charts, terminology, what Morningstar ratings mean, and everything else you can pick up. Then be sure the basics in your life are covered, like 3-6 months expenses in savings, steady employment, debts under control, etc. before thinking of investing.

NOTHING - No reputable brokerage firm and/or mutual would accept an order of only $30.00

Buying stock IS NOT the way to learn about stock.

I would wait until you have $500 or so to even bother.

$500 a month will make you a millionaire over probably 35 years.

A low or no fee s&p 500 index fund. Like FNILX.

I would avoid robinhood. Not going to last.

$30 won't get you much, if anything.

If you wanna learn about stocks, then pretend to do it for a year or so while you save up more money. Act as if you are buying some and then track your progress. You'll be able to learn the game without having to risk any actual losses.

All that said, you are probably better off with mutual funds rather than individual stocks. Experts spend their entire week picking&choosing which stocks are put into their funds - they do the work so you don't have to. Just be sure to pick one with a good track record.

Lol.... can you even buy stocks for $30?

Just invest in whatever stocks those phone apps like Robinhood have

No broker is going to do anything with $30