What do you think about the Oxford comma?

Which sentence do you view as correct:

She had red, green and blue.

or

She had red, green, and blue.

I see now that this was not a good example at all

Best Answer

The first sentence is correct. The second sentence is not a good example of the Oxford comma. Actually, the Oxford comma would not be used in that context as it would add no value. It serves a purpose in a complex sentence by separating the last of a series of phrases from the remaining sentence where not to do so might otherwise confuse the meaning.

• Jedi Jan
      1 month agoReport

Agree. I have never seen such misuse of the comma, as in the given second example, as I have recently. Appears that it is a recent trend, or at least recent Yahoo Answers trend. I would have failed English composition if I placed a comma after the green.

In the old days we were taught style 2.

• Zirp

questions about the answerer are not allowed.

When/where the oxford comma makes the phrase clearer, people should definitely use it

It's a rediculous comma.

They're both correct, and in this case, the sentence is simple enough to be understandable either way. However, in more complicated sentences, the Oxford comma is very useful in avoiding confusion. So I'm totally in favor of it. So is the Chicago Manual of Style.

I would rather have the comma before the "and". Without it you can interpret the sentence as she had red and a green and blue mixture. This is probably a bad example but I have seen series where there can be a misinterpretation. I just always use it to simplify things.