why do people get more excited about buying a house than buyng an apartment?

apartments can be just as luxurious if not more luxurious than a house. plus, they already come with accomadations like a pool, movie theatre etcc

Best Answer

No one buys an apartment, you rent it. And you're not getting anything back by renting.

There are pros and cons to each, but more pros, in my opinion, to home ownership. Rent always goes up and the places that you're talking about, the places that have pools and theatres and all those fancy accommodations are very costly and make your rent go up even more. Those aren't common in many apartment complexes and are often found in bigger cities with higher price tags.

A home, I can make my own. I have more privacy and not throwing away money towards something that I will never own, like an apartment. My mortgage is very manageable and with the exception of property taxes, my mortgage will likely never go up $100 per year like it can with renting.

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

An "apartment" is a type of building, not a type of ownership.

• Erik

Maybe because the house belongs to them. For many people it's seen as one of life's big goals, like getting a really good job, getting married, having a kid, etc.

But apartments have strong rules on behavior that a single family home does not have. Like no loud parties after 10 PM, no bicycle riding in the common area, no remodeling or alterations without Board approval, and so on. And then there is always the noise from your adjacent neighbor through the walls, and through the floors and ceilings.

I have both a townhouse (apartment) and a single family home; believe me, I am free to do more with my home than with my townhouse.

Eh...stupid people get excited for the Price is Right...

A purchase of this magnitude, whether an apartment (condo, co-op, etc) or a free standing home is a serious thing...neither should be taken lightly. People getting excited...well, that's on them.

In somewhere like NYC, many people own their homes, they just happen to share a building with other people.

Your assumption and or your word choice is incorrect.  People feel joy and accomplishment when they are able to purchase a home in which they will develop financial equity rather than merely renting a dwelling.  The type of property, whether that dwelling is a mobile home, a boat, a house, or a condo/apartment, isn't relevant.  

• Vicki

I guess I like the ideals of buying a house. The ideals, and the space a house offers. I imagine there are some people who get excited about buying an apartment though. There are quite a few people who get excited about buying a condo!

Privacy

A nice lawn

Trees

Space from other people

Your own driveway

No rules and regulations like the condo board enforces

My house is nicer than my apartment was, has a garage, the monthly payment is less and I am building equity and will one day own it outright. Quieter too.

They probably enjoy the sole ownership despite lacking the perks of apartment or condo living. Fewer rules, more privacy.