Will I get backpay on SSDI?

I quit my job in April and applied for disability in may and got approved in August. I know theres a 6 month waiting period and since I was approved before the 6 months will I get backpay? The social security office has a wait time of 2 hours 

• Judith

What is the date of onset of the disability? No one is paid any social security monies for the first full five months of disability. I'll give you two examples: 1) your date of onset is Jan 1 2019 your month of entitlement would be June 2019. June's benefit is paid in July so if your claim is processed in August you will be due payment for July. The benefit for August is due in September. 2) your date of onset is January 15, 2019. Your month of entitlement would be July, 2019 because you must be disabled for 5 FULL months. July's benefit is paid in August. You will not be paid for months before your month of entitlement which is shown on your award letter.

Once the claim has been processed and you've received your first benefit you will then be paid on either the 2nd 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month based upon your day of birth unless SSI is involved somehow. If SSI is involved then you will be paid on the 3rd of the month.

The only benefit which could possibly be paid before your entitlement to social security disability would be if you were financially eligible for SSI (supplemental security income) which is a federal welfare program. SSI would pay you for the months in the waiting period and would end when your social security benefits kick in. SSI will only continue to be paid after that if you are entitled to a low social security benefit of $791 or less and your resources are under limits; $2000 if single; $3000 if married.

Did you get an award notice? Did you read it? It tells you what your month of entitlement is. It also tells you what changes you are required to report and how to report those changes. Keep the notice in a file set up as "Social Security."

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

no, there is no back pay for the waiting period, unless you are eligible for SSI for those months

You must be disabled for 5 month before checks are started, so you will not receive checks for the first 5 months you are disabled.

If you have dependents they can also apply under your claim. If you are approved there is no waiting period for them.