What's wrong with my laptop ? ?

My compaq laptop fan has been making a loud whirling noise lately I've had it for 13 years it still works good but it's the fan that's making me nervous. I never had this problem with the fan before. I want to get on it but I'm afraid of it either getting too hot or blowing up. It's the only laptop I have that has iTunes on it. What's going on with it ? How can I get this fan fixed also how much will it cost to get it fixed ? 

Best Answer

The bearings are shot in the fan, time to be replaced.

My machines generally go 24/7 and 5 to 6 years is about time for fan fail. Keyboard, then think HDD.

Fans are near as easy to replace as ram or disk drive, easy if you are handy with a small philips screwdriver. wouldn't hurt to clean out all the dust bunnies while you are at it.

If you have a 13 year old laptop, its time to upgrade. You would still be using Windows XP I would imagine. Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, and all the security holes that have been discovered in the wild since Microsoft quit support for XP are now unpatched. That means...one wrong website...one wrong email...one wrong drive-by javascript bug...and it's all over for you.

You might be of the mindset that "If it isn't broke I don't need to fix or replace it." That is, unfortunately, a simply wrong mindset in today's age. I can't sugarcoat this. I've been in computers since before there was an internet. Security is EVERYTHING. Using a non-secure operating system makes you as wise as a bag full of hammers.

Dumb hammers.

it’s broken get another one

The laptop could be having heat issues due to too much dust in the air intake. Use canned air and blow as much as you can out. If this does not help, it might be better to take to a tech.

2nd idea, just in case it's not the fan...is there a disk in the CD/DVD drive? They can get out of balance and cause a loud noise.