Thomas
Thomas asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 1 month ago

Can you give me some advice on how to return to writing poetry?

It has been a couple years now since I have been able to write poetry.  Now I am average at best, but I did learn how to write in meter and a gentleman named Gene taught me; great guy.

I have prayed, tried to write, and my brain has no imagination anymore, much do to trauma and circumstances the last couple years though each day is a blessing.

What would you do if the desire is still there but no talent exists.  I wish my desire would leave me so I could forget this.   I can't quit thinking about at least trying.............but how.?   If you were me, please give me a few steps you would take.   I know I'll get some crazy answers, but I am serious about this.  Thanks

Thomas

• Stan
    Best Answer

I could do with some myself Mr Tom.

I've tried and failed

so I boarded a boat and sailed

to see my old mate

on an unannounced date

he lives in Forth Worth.

I sailed by boat, why?

because I'm too scared to fly

now you know

why I didn't go

by airplane.

• Stan
      4 weeks agoReport

Hey dude, thank ya for the best Answer I sure disserved it.

• 9 hours ago

Just do it. Turn off the Internet and all other distractions and just do it.

Statistically speaking, the best way to have your poetry get better is to die, but that's really going out of your way.

In the mean time Sir Thomas, just write. Be courageous and brave, adventurous and clever, sincere and witty.

Out of the overflow of the heart...

Read, Thomas, Read. Try American Life in Poetry. It''s online, it's free. Over 700 contemporary poems.

• Thomas
      4 weeks agoReport

Thank you Noah Thall. I agree it helps some, but also I must try to write, and am no willing to try right now.

Read a lot of poetry, of all styles, from many different time periods and cultures. That often fires up the "writing" part of the brain.

Also, get some books of writing prompts such as "The Practice of Poetry" by Robin Behn and Chase Twitchell (be careful, there are other books with the same title, so check the authors' names when buying it or borrowing from the library), and do some of the exercises in the book. That will probably give you some momentum and maybe some inspiraton.

Good luck!

Stop overthinking and just write.

It probably won’t be very good at first, but first drafts never are.

Just do a stream of consciousness and go from there.

• Thomas
      4 weeks agoReport

Probably the best answer so far, in conjunction with reading. I do have a couple poetry books, one on learning how to write; I never read in its entirety, so will check it out again.

Poetry is best when it comes from the heart. If you have been throtugh bad times, write about the experience, your feelings or spiritual torment. Let it out in poetry. Also think about good things and the future, nature, feelings, experiencs, raindrops or sunshine or whatever moves you.

Keep paper and pen handy for when lines come to you.

• Thomas
      4 weeks agoReport

Hey you two; I think both. Thank you so kindly for helping me.