How do I get a 1 year old to like me? ?

I'm trying to get a job as a nanny for a 13 month old boy. I've already met the mum, she seemed to like me but didn't like how shy I was. She's asked me to do a trial week so next week I'm going to meet the baby. I'm not shy with kids but I am when the parents are around. How do I talk to the baby? How do I get him to like me? 

• LP7

Just imagine she isn't there.Be yourself because that's exactly what the mother wants from you.She wants to feel comfortable with you including her baby.Relax and flow with the boy.Watch carefully how he responds to you and enjoy his company.

Bring him a little toy on your first day, then you can play with him and the toy and not say much, and you will show the parents you care enough to bring a thoughtful gift. With kids a little older, I always made sure I knew all the popular cartoon characters they watch, like Spongebob, Dora, etc. so I had something in common with them to make a connection, it always worked.