Is it okay to buy designer on £8 and hour?

I’m 16 & got a job the month I was legal to work.

I earn about £8 an hour and work 16 hours a week (sometimes 40 on school holidays) 

Some months I earn £550, on holidays I earn £900.

This is purely disposable income — my parents are both well off (divorced) and we don’t have limescale in our kettle. 

Is it wrong for me to save some – but also spend some on designer clothing ?

Let’s say over a few months I saved about £700 and had £700 in my account ?

If I bought £400 shoes is it wrong ?

I only spend my money on make up, transport, eating out & gym.

My ex used to put me down and tell me I shouldn’t buy expensive shoes there’s no need and I don’t earn enough .. but he doesn’t even work & if I feel like I can treat myself and still have money then isn’t it okay?

• B

don't fret about what the ex thinks. practice putting away a bit out of every payday but do treat yourself regularly

Designer clothing is for gullible fools. All clothes are designed.

what was there about a limescale in your kettle with the amount of money u have? even thou I use only bottled water in my vacation own, separately standing house in the south of france I still have limescale in my kettle. a lot. and I drive a Bentley continental there. does it mean I have too much money? this is why limescale comes into my kettle?

• Eva

You need to learn how to handle money and budget. Blowing your savings on expensive shoes is not the way to do it. There's a difference between need and want. You'd better really like those shoes and wear them a lot since you had to work 50 hours to get them.

• Maxi

"we don’t have limescale in our kettle" ..and what has that got to do with anything? Do as you please with your own money, no one cares what you spend it on

• Amy

Every pound that you spend today is one you won't have later. So the real question is, will you wish you had savings when you are in university (and don't have time for a job), and again when you have your first job and need to pay all your own expenses?

Don't start living a lifestyle that you can't maintain.

yes..............

16 years old, and you already have an ex?

An ex-boyfriend, I sincerely hope.

Yes, you may spend some of your money as you may wish,

but please put some aside in a Savings account, will you?

• Jerry

Are you investing in good classic pieces that will give you years of service? Or throwing your money at chic and trendy items that will become unwearable in a few seasons? I know that if I spent a months pay on a pair of shoes, it would be the kind of shoes that would still be in regular use in 2039 and not stylish items that would soon go the way of pants with big words on the butt, studded belts, popped collars, dresses over jeans.

• Tavy

You don't have limescale in your kettle ??? What on Earth is that supposed to mean? And why would anyone on here care what you spend.