Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

Can I sue someone for selling me a used car that has alot of problems?

I recently bought a 2006 dodge charger and the person that sold me the car told me the car was "his baby". He seemed so upset to sell me the car.. he told me the car never gave him problems but once I had it I've been fixing it.. I changed the radiator the next day I bought it. Then a couple days later I changed the alternator because the gauges and icons on dash were flickering and dimming the headlights. So mechanic thought either alternator or battery... the car kept doing it and I bought a new battery because the car turned off while driving. Then I bought the battery and the gauges were flickering again so I took it to my nearest auto zone they scanned it and they told me I have a misfire on cylinder 5. Now my car is smoking... I can have the car on for 5 min and it starts to smoke up. At this point I'm so upset for buying this car. If I knew it had this many problems I wouldn't of bought it. What can I do in this case.  Can I sue him? I messaged him back told him everything I have fixed on it. I can no longer do that.. this car is financially hurting me. I dont know much about cars and had no one with knowledge to help either. 

Sure, if you want to and can find an attorney willing to waste his time on the case like that he couldn't win.

Unless the vehicle has a written warranty you bought it as is. You should not have handed money over without having in inspected first.

Caveat Emptor.

• (A)

A salesman is a liar when his lips are moving.Buyer be ware.

You will have to talk to your Lawyer about it and by now that car salesman is probably already replaced as they turn over like crazy.

• don r

...bad radiator...I'd guess the engine has a blown head gasket.

You seriously dropped money on a thirteen year old car that most likely has a crap load of miles on it and you expected it to be problem free? MUAHAHAHAHA!

When you buy a car older than five model years and it has a lot of miles on it you have to expect that anything that can fail WILL fail! Especially if the previous owners neglected to take care of it..

Seriously, what did you expect? lol

If the car was sold as is (and you know it was) then you are SOL!

LOL chalk it up as a lesson learned!

• Bryan4 weeks agoReport

Maybe not problem free, but sounds like the guy who sold him the car knew there was something wrong and misled the buyer. For that reason he should be able to take his sorry *** to court and win back at least double of what he paid for the car and his expences.

• JetDoc

Sux to be you! It's YOUR car now, and YOUR problem to fix. If you don't know anything about cars, then NEXT TIME you want to buy a used car, bring a friend who DOES know something about cars.

• Gir4 weeks agoReport

You dont have to be an asshole. **** off my ****.

That's why you take a vehicle you want to buy to the dealer before purchasing it and pay an hour labor to have it inspected!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • sirjester099
      4 weeks agoReport

Taking it to Midas and having them do an oil change on it yields a semi thorough inspection on the chassis, brakes...

It sounds like the seller knew exactly when to get rid of it: if you were buying a house, you wouldn't go with the one that "never painted it, never replaced the roof, nothing new - everything's old". But that's what you did: ANY used car usually needs some fix-up and ALL 14 year old cars are ready to have any original parts - like a radiator - replaced.

Private parties - and used car dealers - are assumed to "puff" their vehicles . . . to say they're great cars, never broke down, etc. The only times you have recourse is when there is a provable lie: "I just had a new engine installed", "just had new brakes", "the air conditioning works perfectly" . . . . even then, it's he said/she said - hard to prove.

• David

If the car was sold privately then you can't sue because it was 'sold as seen'.

If the car was sold by a second hand car dealer then you can sue on the grounds of misrepresentation.

• Gir4 weeks agoReport

I see what you mean... thank you for answering. I'm just so upset with this car.. the whole situation is just so bad.