Why is "wild" honey so much darker than store bought?

My father-in-law started beekeeping this year and my wife and I got 3 quarts of honey.

I don't know that I have ever bought honey but in the store, it is a light golden color.

But the stuff he harvested is much much darker.

It tastes like honey. And didn't make us sick.

But why is it so much darker?

• james

It is not wild honey. It is home raised honey. Wild honey can be near clear to a dark brown. Each will taste different. Depending on what the bee's made it from or mix made from. His is probably filtered. So most to all the wax removed. Here I buy wild honey. The village boys will come down the road yelling honey for sell. They will have a wild comb in a 5 gal. bucket. Not nice strait combs as raised in a bee hive. First you put your finger into the honey & taste it. Bargen on price. Go in & get your honey jar. We normally have 3 or 4 types of honey here. Let them mash it out of the comb & filter it there a old clean T shirt. Your honey jar should have about a 1/4 inch of wax in the bottom once it settles. That is wild honey. Some is used for cooking some for eating strait depending on flavor. Very dark honey is best for cakes & cookies. Light honey for eating strait as a general rule. Flavors very we had some that tasted like sea mist. Rose Marry you call it great for baking chicken honey coated. If wax settles out of yours. Save the wax. Great for waxing sewing thread. Or putting on warmed iron or steel you do not wish to rust. Some other things.

the color of honey is determined by what kind of flowers the nectar was collected from.

Bees kept in an orange tree orchard, for example, would produce honey that is different colored than bees kept in an alfalfa field.

I can tell you that honey produced by bees in a sunflower field is VERY dark and not as good tasting as honey from bees in a clover field or fruit orchard.

AND there is no reason it would make you sick just because its color is different.

thats like thinking you can get sick from different colored apples.

Possibly because it hasn't been filtered (or even thinned with water or thinned with sugar water). Unprocessed (raw) honey contains ingredients that some claim are helpful to those with allergies. However, these properties are absent when the honey is heated to more than 140°F. BTW, three quarts of raw honey is a very generous gift. That quantity retails at more than $100.00 where I live.

• denise

Honey comes in different shades & strengths, It depends on where/ which flowers / blossoms the bees collected the nectar.

The flavor depends on the pollen/crop the bees are eating. If it's raw and all from 1 source is tastes a million times better.

• Sparky

It is probably because of the types of plants and trees the bees are visiting.

Lucky you. Good honey is expensive. I'd use more of it if it was cheaper. The colour is probably because of what flowers the bees used. Buckwheat honey, for instance, is very dark. I have some that's as dark as blackstrap molasses. I'm sure there are other plants that make dark honey and some that give an in between colour, and of course the bees probably used more than one kind of plant unless your FIL did as some beekeepers do and made sure there was a lot of one kind of plant near the hives. The plants the bees used also affect the flavour of the honey, though not usually enough that most of us would really notice. Not all 'wild' honey is dark. I buy local honey that's light coloured. The guy who makes that takes his hives up into the mountains when the fireweed is in bloom. But large commercial producers most often use the plants that make light coloured honey.

Store bought honey is usually pasteurized, giving it a lighter color.

Also, there are different types of honey. For example, some honey farms keep clovers around to make clover honey. Some keep orange blossoms around to make orange blossom honey. Some keep eucalyptus around to make eucalyptus honey. It all depends on the pollen the bees collect.