How much honey do bees need to survive?

My father-in-law took up beekeeping as a hobby. He made the hives himself [he's a retired shop teacher and bought a colony of bees [what he calls a nuke].

He just took his final harvest and he collected altogether 6½ 5-gallon buckets. That's 32½ gallons... From one hive. Are bees really making that much excess honey or are they going to starve now that the flowers are dieing.

Also hes doping those more or less as a hobby, but he got a stall at a Farmers market, and he kept done of the honey and have some away. We ended up with three quarts.

He paid $200 for the bees another $200 in other supplies, and $105 for 125 plastic bear honey jars.

That's $505. He sold the honey for $4 a pint and got a yield of 130 pints.

If he sold it all he would have made $520.

That's a lot of work for 15 profit.

They eat it through the winter, if he took TOO much, they'll die.

He needs to get on an apiary forum, talk to other beekeepers about it.

• Zirp

Bees don't survive. The ones who make the honey have a life-expectancy of three weeks.

The hive survives, and beekeepers feed their bees sugar to prevent them from starving

That is more honey than any 20 hives I have seen.

5 populated hives, I get maybe a gallon over the full season, leaves the bees enough to last til next season. I could maybe double that, but means feeding homemade nectar, not as healthy as the natural stuff.