Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

Is there any reason for the UK to deny me entry? ?

My boyfriend lives in the UK and I live in America. The last time I was there was in October of 2018 and I stayed for 6 weeks, and returned in December. I had no problem going through customs. This time, I will be staying for 6 months and I am going there this weekend. I can’t think of any reason why they wouldn’t let me in and I have any proof they might ask for. I’m just nervous they might deny me entry. Is there any other reason this would happen or do you think I should have no problem? 

You are approaching this issue from a narrow minded view. Put yourself in the shoes of an immigration officer whose job it is to distinguish real visitors, a.k.a. tourists, from those who might have other reasons to visit, may overstay, or become a burden on the system, i.e. when they get sick and need medical care, courtesy of the British taxpayers.

You are entering as a tourist, and you wish to stay 6 months.

I know a lot of well-off folks who make mid 6 figures per year, travel the world on elaborate vacations, but none of them can afford a vacation lasting half a year. If you make $400,000 per year, that vacation would cost $200,00, before any actual cost.

So who can afford a vacation that long?

The super rich retired folks, many of whom travel in private planes. You are not one of them. Students? Nope, they have to attend school. Working folks? Nope, they have to work. I have no clue how YOU can afford a vacation that long, but depending on your answer the immigration officer will admit you in for 6 months, or not. Telling him or her that you have a British boyfriend and he'll take care of you will not fly, that's for sure.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.

If UK Immigration realizes you plan to stay for six months then you will be closely questioned. If the questioning causes them to suspect you will overstay, try to illegally work, become a burden on society, immigrate through marriage, or otherwise violate the terms of your visa-free stay they will literally put you back on the airliner for return to the USA.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/engl...

What I actually recommend is you call the airline and change your ticket so it shows a return to the USA in less than 90 days. The objective is to not hit 90 days in the UK, which is a trigger point for UK Immigration - even though you can officially stay 180 days. If you decide to stay longer then change your airline ticket back to the original dates. Yes, it costs money to change your ticket but it is far better than being denied entry. Also pay attention to what is stamped in your passport as the time you are allowed to visit and don't go past that date without exiting the UK.

If you don't want to change your ticket than I recommend you NOT tell them you plan to stay in the UK for six straight months. Have plans to leave the UK after about 10 weeks, which would be early January. For example, go to Paris for New Year's Eve. Then actually leave the UK on that schedule, even if you just go to the continent for a short visit and return. (going to Ireland does not count as exiting the UK) Then leave again after another 10 weeks or so. You can legitimately tell them you plan to use the UK as your "base" from which to explore the continent so you won't be in the UK the whole time.

Also get trip medical insurance for the duration of your visit to Europe. Having that will help assure UK Immigration that you will not become a burden on society.

Finally, dress reasonably nicely for the flight to the UK. DON'T look like "trouble".

• Foofa

Yeah, if you tell them you've got a boyfriend in the UK they'll be far more likely to view you as an overstay risk.

• Maxi

There are many reasons why people can be denied entry...carrying things that are illegal, not having a return ticket, not enough funds to support yourself 100% and many more...But having a UK bf, already travelled recently to the UK for a holiday you are highly likely to be questioned and they will decide if you will be allowed to enter and also for how long they will allow you to stay.... having a return flight, a booked hotel, travel/health insurance, enough funds to support yourself, a job or University education to return back to all can help

You did not claim asylum

I don't think you mean customs. Customs checks your luggage for contraband after you have been permitted entry. You will know you are going through customs because there is a big green sign saying 'Nothing to declare'. I think you are asking about immigration.

US citizens now go through the e-passport gates when they enter the UK so there is no manual check at entry. Instead immigration has people standing at the e-gates ready to pull you aside if you are flagged up by the system. There were lots of people being flagged when I went through Heathrow a month ago.

If you have a one way ticket you will be flagged.

If you have a round trip ticket that has a return in 6 months, you may be flagged. Then they may decide to cut short your trip suspecting that you plan to attempt to work. Nobody of working age can afford to take 6 months off.

Americans are among the most problematic for overstaying, and if you have a partner and are looking to stay for 6 months, they may be concerned that you won't leave.

They might want proof you're definitely leaving after 6 months (eg a return ticket), proof you can support yourself etc.

The only reason I can think of is if you kill somebody with a car then wave a diplomatic immunity card under the distraught families noses.

Well, they would likely want to know if you have a booked return ticket for your return to the US, along with enough money to support yourself for the planned duration of your stay.

You won’t need a visa to come to the UK

You can stay in the UK for up to 6 months without a visa.

However, you should bring the same documents you’d need to apply for a visa, to show to officers at the UK border.