Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

I live alone & sometimes work nights, is it odd or rude to put up a dont disturb sign? ?

I live in a ground level apartment (11 in total) occasionally their will be sales or religious people door knocking.

I dont talk to neighbors as they’re rude

Is it odd or weird or inappropriate to put a “sleeping, do not knock sticker or sign on my front door.

Dont want to invite thieves or odd looks from neighbors..

But need to sleep of a day when i do nights..

• Foofa

Not rude at all. Many people use "Day Sleeper" signage to protect themselves from random knockers.

Not uncommon for shiftworkers to have a sign stating they are sleeping, no disturbances and no knocking.

It is absolutely normal to put a sign on your door that says "Shift worker sleeping. Please do not disturb".

I've done a lot of canvassing through the years and have seen signs with this or similar wording over and over again.

• drip

Get a sign that says No solicitation.

https://www.mysecuritysign.com/no-soliciting-no-ex...

Do not publicly announce you are gone all night. Or that you are at home sound asleep.

id be careful about doing that cause if your neighbors are rude and see that they might make noise on purpose to bother you,i would just tell those religious or sales people you need to sleep days

You could put a sign that says something like... May be sleeping. Please do not knock on door, unless I invited you.----------OR------------ How about...  You can knock on this door only between 12 noon to 2 pm.  Only on  Tuesdays and Fridays

• Reporting
      4 weeks agoReport

Are they going to stand outside and invite them to knock on their door?

Not at all, you are allowed to have privacy and sleep without interruption.

• If you don’t talk to your neighbors why should it matter? If anyone asks just strike up a convo “yeah I work nights tired of people banging on my door” as for thieves we’ll make sure you’re doors locked. I say go for it.

I've had to work a few all nighters so I understand. Also, I'm a very private person and thats OK... its OK to be private! I retired a few years ago and had some bad health. I don't hesitate to write "Do Not Disturb Due to Illness".

Who cares if someone gets their nose out of joint? You protect your privacy at all costs.

Who cares? You don't want to speak to them in anycase and a thief wont breakin if you are inside asleep so go ahead and put it up.