How likely is it to take too much iron?

As a child I had anemia and took iron supplements for a bit.

Now as an adult, I’ve tried donating blood twice was turned down for being anemic.

A couple days ago I started taking an iron supplement and I already feel better, not tired, don’t get dizzy standing up and stuff, but I’ve been reading it’s really dangerous to take iron if it isn’t something prescribed to you.

I am taking the 65mg (325mg) naturemade iron supplements, one every morning with vitamin c.

I’m eating healthier this week, more veggies and meats than normal.

How likely is it to be consuming too much iron?

And could I perhaps only take half a pill to reduce my intake?

Any info helps!

A person can overdose on iron, but what you're taking ( 325mg per day ) is a normal dose,

so you don't need to worry.

Kathryn, you need to find out WHY you're anemic. Unexplained anemia is a WARNING SIGN of several conditions, many of which are SERIOUS. Chief among them is CANCER, particularly COLON cancer. Iron deficiency isn't the only thing that can cause anemia. If you're bleeding from somewhere ( and you wouldn't necessarily know this), then that can cause it. You need to get yourself to the doctor ASAP, and get him or her to refer you to a GI specialist, so you can have a colonoscopy done. And I'd quit taking any more iron until you know for sure what is really causing your anemia.

The other reason you need to get yourself checked out is because these other symptoms you've been having- the fatigue, dizziness, etc., are also signs of cancer, particularly if they have been happening for more than a week or so.

I think, it is not possible to get an overdose of iron you use - enough people get iron IV because of anemia.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=iron+...

Your supplememt iron should have the dose monitored by a specialist endocrinologist.

You might want to look into angstrom iron. I've been taking it for some time and I really like it. It supposedly doesn't have the issues that "regular" iron supplements do and I think that's true.

There's a good way to tell if you need a little bit of iron pull down your lower eyelid if it's nice and red you don't need iron if it looks pale you need some iron.