Does getting your Oil change late bad for your car?

In my 2018 Civic Touring I have about 39898KM and the next maintenance appointment is Oct 2019 or 41000KM. Thing is I am busy, and I have a planned vacation but I can do the oil change the first of second week of November.

Thing is there is no warning light in my car and I haven’t driven anywhere close to the KM I need for it to be considered oil change time only cause its Oct 2019.

Will I damage my engine if I do it in Nov instead of Oct?.

Honda recommends every 8000KM or every 6 months but last time I was in it was 33000KM and June 2019

Best Answer

I don't know if you're using regular or synthetic oil.

Your motor has variable cam timing and the cam advance actuators will tarnish up and start to stick and throw codes if you go too long between oil changes OR let the oil level on the dipstick fall lower then half way between the upper and lower dipstick marks. It's imperative you check the oil level every 1,000 miles and top it up if needed.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Anon4 weeks agoReport

Varnish. for the Last time. "Tarnish' is oxidation like on silverware.

• don r

Look at the dip stick. If the oil looks clean and the level is sufficient, don't worry and enjoy your vacation.

It won't do any harm.  Just realize that dirty oil has dirt in it , so it acts like sandpaper and wears out parts faster.  Not measurably noticeable in your case but if it was a side by side test with an identical car, then yours wears out sooner.  Really depends on how dirty that oil actually got.

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

Old oil has acids in it. The additives wear out, less protection., If Dirt in sump, the Filter has a hole in it!

• zipper

A few weeks late or early is OK, Just check the leave to make sure you have enough oil in the system and do not over fill. That can cause the pressure to increase and make oil leaks.  Have a nice vacation. And your ride should always come first!

Rarely anything good comes from utter ignorance. Good luck with your car and in life.

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

Or, Rather, should change every "3,000 miles" like bax says? Better a full sump 3 weeks late than a selfie oil change on time and it all leaks out past filter and he Drives it..

Get your oil changed as soon as humanly possible dirty oil will cause engine wear.

The cleaner the oil the better. If the oil is dark, change it. You get more extended use from a good, quality filter & synthetic oil.

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

'Ive sen synth go 4,000 and Still look Clear.

• Ron

Your dealer recommends every 8000km, not Honda. Honda recommends up to 10000km depending on conditions. It also recommends reading the owners manual which you clearly haven't done yet. There's this fancy computer thing called a "maintenance minder" that will tell you, based on what the car thinks, when you should have your oil changed. If you go in when your dealer wants, you will pay far more than you need to do as they will also charge you a premium price for Honda oil.

My 00 Accord pops up a light every 7500 miles. Dino oil every time, 180k miles and still going strong

Better late than never

You haven't reached 8000Km yet since the last change, so you are still good, the miles matter more than the time period.

• OceanOfLove
      4 weeks agoReport

That's not what I meant, I meant if a car is not driven often, the oil is not going bad because 6 months went by.