Does it matter what kind of hard drive i get?

I have a lot of games and programs that I use frequently, and its starting to get to be too much for my current hard drive (which is already 930GB). If I wanted to add another hard drive, does it matter what kind? I have an MSI B150M Bazooka motherboard and an intel i5 6402p processor. I want to get a TB hard drive but I dont know if that will be too much for my computer to handle.

• PCMR
    Best Answer

What matters the most is a drive that uses the SATA interface. It can be a SSD or a regular 3.5" platter drive. You can get any size you want. I recommend a 2tb or 4tb platter drive since these are usually the best value. You can move the Operating system to a 256gb or 512gb SSD if you're willing to spend a little more. Most people these days will use a SSD that's large enough for the OS and their favorite programs, while storing lesser used files on a platter drive.

Your board is too old and it doesn't have the right kind of PCI-E slots to support an M.2 drive.

If you buy a 2nd drive, make sure you have an extra SATA cable on hand. If you don't have a spare cable then order one when you order the drive. If you still have the box and accessories that came with your motherboard, then you might have a spare SATA cable.

This is a good time to be alive, when it comes to hard drives. Get yourself a nice 2 TB SSD. Or a pair of 1 TB SSD's and run then in RAID 0. Don't bother with the old mechanical hard drives anymore, we live in the age of the solid state hard drive now.

As someone who uses Solid State hard drives in EVERY system in his home (2 laptops and 4 desktops, as well as a PS4 Pro with a 1 TB SSD) I can PROMISE you they are worth their cost premium. Luckily, that cost premium has come down by half in the last year, making SSD the only serious choice. The speed benefit is PHENOMENAL.

• PCMR
      4 weeks agoReport

Kinda crazy that you would say make the generalization about the asker's knowledge of GPT/MBR but you mention creating a RAID. It's even crazier that you believe putting two SATA based Solid State Drives in RAID 0 makes a real world difference.

Get a 1 or 2 TB SSD.

• keerok

The only thing that matters is connection which would most likely be SATA. Other than that, it's up to you. Brand, capacity, size, any will do. You can even get an SSD for running your OS and programs faster. Another option would be to get portable hard disks. They connect by USB and although they are slower, they'll do fine for storing music, porn (err... pictures), movies and documents.

• Norm F

You have 6 SATA interfaces so no problem there.

As this is a micro ATX motherboard you do not mention how many bays you have for hard drives but almost certainly you have more than one.

Get a 3.5" form factor hard drive as it will be a little faster than a 2.5" drive (laptops) and the max capacity will be bigger

Generally speaking, especially for a desktop computer, it does not matter. With laptops, the physical size matters. With hard drives over a certain memory size (I think 4TB) you can't use the standard MBR format for hard drives but instead use what I believe is GPT partitions to accommodate larger that 4TB drives.

• SBR32277
      4 weeks agoReport

@letmepicyou, of course not, but me providing the information gives him something to look up and also be aware that there could be a problem if he gets a drive too large in capacity. It also may help others who are looking at the responses.