Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 month ago

Are teachers allowed to not put in grades?

I have a math teacher who has not put in grades since August, I can look at my grades online and I can see there are slots for assignments but she just hasn't put my score in them. Report cards come out in 2 days, can I tell the principal about this? Is this allowed?

• Nathan

As long as she is reporting your grades to the principle, she can do it. If she genuinely does not know what any of your grades are, then she must be reported

• Laurie

Begin by asking THE TEACHER.

Your parents can certainly call and ask why no grades have been put in. The purpose of the online system is usually to keep the parents informed, so they can nag the kids if need be. Have you not been receiving assignments back with written grades and feedback? If not, your parents should ask about that, too. And if the teacher doesn't give a satisfactory response, they should call the principal. One of the purposes of giving grades regularly is to motivate students to work harder if they are not doing well. They can't do that if they don't know what grades they're getting.

It actually depends on the state and district, but generally, no, the teacher is not required to put grades into some online system. They are required to report grades at certain intervals for report card purposes (probably quarterly in your case). How the teacher is required to report those grades is up to the district, but the teacher probably only has to report a grade for the marking period, not for any individual assignment. However, if you disagree with the grade given you can ask the teacher how they graded and such.

But, all that being said, you should have a pretty good idea of what grade you have based on what you have been doing in class (tests, homework, etc)

Well maybe he following orders by grading a notebook for the semester and waited till the end to graded it

Depends on the school’s policy

• Bob

If you want to see your grades, ask them.