Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Is it safe to leave ammo in my car while it's cold outside?

So I heard that leaving ammo in the cold could result in malfunctions or may even cause the ammo to explode. Is that true? And also, I heard that fluctuating temperatures can cause problems. For example: if I leave my ammo in the glove compartment during the winter, but then crank up the heater in my car...will that affect the ammo in any way?

If the temperature is safe for your car, it's safe for your ammo. Between -20° and 120° won't be a problem.

Yes. The ammo will not explode. At worse, if they are lubed, like many 22 caliber bullets, the lube will get cold and may gum up the gun.

• Robin

ammunution stored in either hot or cold tempreatures can rewsult in low velocity or hang-fires

• BBean

When the cold shrinks a .30-06 round to .223 size....then it may affect the performance. The good news is that the rifle shrinks down too! So leave the rifle in the car with the ammo. The bad news is that you may not be able to open the car door.

Stop and think about this. Do you know how many wars were fought in extreme temperatures? LOTS! And there are still armed conflicts in very cold and hot places. What ammo can't tolerate is moisture and EXTREME heat. I have been to Alaskan and Canadian remote cabins that had ammo stored inside for years and it got hot in the summer and below zero during the winter INSIDE the cabin because few every ever went there. All the ammo worked fine. Now there has been ammo damaged from being in sealed shipping containers in places that have super hot temps. This happened in the middle east. Left in the sun these steel shipping containers got over 175F inside. That was just too hot for military ammo or any ammo but it didn't explode. They just had more duds. There was a news story on that some years ago. So your ammo will be fine. I have ammo in my truck here in Alaska and it always goes bang.

Extreme temperatures can set off ammunition. If it's very cold or very hot get your ammunition into a moderate temperature

• C T M
      1 month agoReport

Liar. extreme cold has never been a danger with ammo.

Perfectly fine. Extreme cold might be problematic, but that cold, the oil in your car would be jellied also.

Never measured temps in my truck gun box, certainly gets hot in summer sun and below zero in winter. zero issues so far.

• L.N.

I remember several years ago reading that there were potential problems with some reduced loads at low temperatures causing extreme pressure spikes. I don't know of any full loads that have issues at low temperatures. You ammo isn't going explode just from getting cold in the car, ammo is very safe and stable as long as you don't hit the primer hard enough to deform the cup. Storing ammo at high temperatures makes the powder deteriorate faster, but the shelf life can still be measured in decades.

LOL. If that was true then every car and truck in Alaska would have blown up long ago. LOL. Who ever told you that - we pulling your leg. I live in Alaska. I keep a big bore rifle in the car 24/7 even when it hits -65F, no wind chill.

There is a problem with anything that is really cold. You bring a rifle or ammo into the house when its 20F or lower its going to frost over like a beer mug in the summer. It makes things rust. In ammo, the cold powder is going to attract some moisture molecules in unless the bullet and primer areas are sealed like military ammo is. Over time - years, not day - over years this can ruin your ammo.

To prevent this - take your nice hunting or personal protection ammo and seal them using the clear coat women use over their painted nails. I use "Sally Hansen #109 Hard As Nails Xtreme Wear" I flip a box of ammo primer side up and run the brush over 5, then lightly with t-paper to pick up any excess. These sit overnight. Next day I seal around where the brass meets the bullets I turn them in the left, run the brush over and let them sit. Done correctly you dump several rounds of ammo into a thermos of hot coffee at 6am, then 12 hours later pour them out and every one will fire.

• Torvald1 month agoReport

Nail polish does not work well. Use some primer and bullet sealer or shellac.

• BOBBER

I have had many cartridges in my pickup over winter and summer for my rifle with no problems. Keep them dry is all.