Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 month ago

Is this a bitcoin/job scam? ?

Hi everyone!

So I have a friend where I have a feeling he is being scammed, but he's really unsure.

He was being "interviewed" (over phone) for being a personal assistant for this CEO, and he got it. It was paying a pretty crazy amount for "little" work apparently, which sounded too good to be true from the start.

But now, the CEO has sent him an e-transfer of nearly $2000 that the CEO asked him to make an account on a bitcoin website he directed him to. The $2000 came through, so my friend proceeded to make an account of his own.

As soon as I learned of this, I told him to not do anything just yet to make sure this isn't some sort of scam somehow?

He has yet to understand how he's getting paid or anything with this job, which I told him to figure out as well.

Is there anything my friend needs to be careful with? Does this sound sketchy? I just don't understand why this CEO needs him to make his own Bitcoin in the first place, and why he needs to be the one managing these funds. 

Please let me know so I can talk some sense into him! Or I'm the crazy one, then so be it.

Thanks a bunch!

• NA
    Best Answer

Of course it's a scam. The only money that is real is the money your friend already had.

The "e-transfer" will reverse and the bank will demand the money back. The money he took out and put into bitcoin will be long gone.

I think it is, yes.

Your friend will make a transaction to purchase bitcoin...then the $2k from this CEO would be reversed...leaving your friend out $2k. Since its Bitcoin, cant track it...

So, your friend is clearly an idiot...

• Casey Y
      4 weeks agoReport

Before ever receiving a paycheck, they were sent $2k...sure...that's believable

Don't make a Bitcoin account on a website that somebody directs you to! They own the website they're watching for you to create the Bitcoin account and don't know the password. then they'll put some money into the Bitcoin account so you think that you're getting paid and do the work. After you do the work the money disappears! Create your own Bitcoin account using the official Bitcoin website. And to give the deposit information to the employer. Never give him the password or the login information if the employer puts money into the Bitcoin account immediately withdraw it. then do the work that you've been paid to do.

This is a scam.

The main thing he has to be careful with now is avoiding prison, because the $2000 was probably stolen.

Your "friend" is an idiot.