Why are people so hateful toward the disabled? I saw on another site where some people believe someone on SSI should not be allowed internet?

,cable TV, a vehicle, or be allowed to buy junk food? What the hell? It is hard enough already being disabled! Internet and TV are my outlets to the world and what the hell is wrong with people that think the disabled shouldn’t have their own transportation?

• David

The problem is, there are a lot of people who fake back injuries (or whatever) to get welfare.  Real disabled people get no respect, nor do they get enough opportunity for job training.

The Master of Perception: http://tiolibooks.com/cgi-bin/blog

"Why are people so hateful toward the disabled?"

Same reasons people criticize any other group of people.

" I saw on another site where some people believe someone on SSI should not be allowed internet?

,cable TV, a vehicle, or be allowed to buy junk food?"

I can kind of see where internet might be important, same thing for a car, there are lots of places where there's no public transportation. But cable TV? Not necessary, Junk food; again not necessary. SSI is supposed to get you bare minimum.

" It is hard enough already being disabled! "

It's also hard having to work for a living.

" Internet and TV are my outlets to the world "

That's your problem, not the taxpayers.

" what the hell is wrong with people that think the disabled shouldn’t have their own transportation?"

Depends on where you live. If you live in a large metropolitan area (NYC, SF, Boston, D.C., etc.) then it's entirely possible to get around with public transportation (millions of people do), however if you live in rural area, then you're more than likely going to need a car. With that said. I don't think tax dollars should go towards buying people cars (like the mobility scheme in the UK). But if you have a car and you're on benefits that car shouldn't count towards your allowable assets (which it doesn't).

• Girl named Alex
      4 weeks agoReport

Also you asked how am I disabled? I have fibromyalgia as well as a few other conditions.

I have had a disability for nine years, and have been out of work just about the same amount of time. Not only are we oppressed by these people that you gave examples of, we also can't live on 800$ month, by ourselves. I'd lay on the couch every day, if it weren't for my family helping me with utilities.

Some people, probably don't have that. And by some people I mean Vets and paralyzed people too. Its just a sad situation. If you look into it other countries some are better some are far worse. America is great, but it could treat its disabled a little better, financially.

My brain doesn't always function well. I don't know what to do. Its like I have been put on the RedList.

It’s evolutionary. I don’t agree but people think disabled people are a waste of resources. I am too disabled to leave the house much and people threaten to kill me because they’re worried that I will go in a nursing home some day and then live for 30-40 years at taxpayers expense. But I don’t qualify for assisted suicide yet so I don’t know what they expect. But you do need internet to pay bills or contact the world if you’re homebound. With transportation if you can drive it’s probably less of a drain on the system if you can drive and manage a car than if you use disability transportation.

I did get SSI until my mom pass away and I don't know what I would do without using a computer and I would go to the community mental health and my choir provider was contracted threw their and the shopping online compared to at the store is way better when doing meal planning and for an example last nights dinner, hole chicken $4.23, stuffing $1.00, scalped patoes $1.00 green beans $1.00 total $7.23 it is so so much cheaper online with prmo codes shopping and eating left overs then not going to a food pantry.

• Because there is really very little comprehension on how debilitating disability can be. Even people with disabilities lack understanding of others with disabilities unlike their own. I currently experience intractable pain and do very little outide the home, except for going to the doctor, yet when I decide I desperately need to get out for my mental health, the depth of my pain is questioned. If not for Netflix, the past few months I would have gone out of my mind. I would have had intolerable pain and nothing to distract me from it. Compassion is in short supply these days.

• Judith

SSI is a federal welfare program. Unfortunately taxpayers feel they can dictate to people receiving any type of welfare just what it is they can do with their income. You'd think they were paying those benefits directly out of their own pocket.

Anyone who would say that a person getting disability shouldn't have access to the internet is narrow-minded. It is a form of entertainment and why would anyone think disabled people should be deprived - even if they do get SSI. We all decide how we spend our money. How Joe Blow might spend his probably isn't how I would spend mine.

I just don't get people like that except that they are very judgmental and I also think they are unkind people as well. Some people make assumptions about others all the time based upon APPEARANCES.

Something I've heard often over the years, even when I was working, that welfare people just lay around and watch TV. Well if they are disabled they probably can't do much of anything else for mental or physical reasons and also maybe because they can't afford to do so many of the things they would like to do. The internet, TV and other electronics allow them to amuse themselves for hours on end. Well - more power to them.

problem is so many are FRAUDS...I have known too many myself....the blind kid who got a job as a security guard, the intellectually disabled child who got a college degree in 4 years and worked as a business manager, the one working full time for cash, the one with the physical disability spending days training for competitive sports (he had full use of his arms and could walk a block and even up stairs).

the family that claimed dad was not in the home, when he had with a salary that should have disqualified them from SSI..while they drove a BMW and had new furniture...(they actually git caught and had to repay)

and many people with disabilities could work part time to lessen the burden on taxpayers...but don't..or only work cash jobs

• Girl named Alex
      1 month agoReport

Simply, a few frauds doesn't make it alright to mistreat the disabled!

I think it is because if others are footing the bill, they don't want people having what many consider luxuries when they can't foot their own bill. Imagine I hit you up for money every month so I can live but instead of living expenses, I spend your money on booze and smokes. We had a similar experience with my religious nut sister who couldn't pay her bills and then giving our money to the church because she believes God wants that. It is infuriating.

• SBR32277
      1 month agoReport

people who don't need assistance will take assistance and people in control of the money don't want to hand it out like they should where some who do need it don't get it and those who don't do get it. It is certainly a messed up system.

• B-Dub

I never understood people doing that. I was nearly paralyzed as 18 years old (23 years ago) but luckily it's just a lot of damage and pain, so I have the right perspective.