CAN I CASH OR DEPOSIT AN OLD CHECK FROM 2009?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

In my younger days, I had similar experiences (though never with checks that were just a few weeks old). I'd write a check, and it would remain un-deposited for several months. What a dilemma! Should I use the money to buy comic books? Or should I keep it in my account in case the check actually goes through? Because I toed the line so close to zero, the answer was important.

In my case, every check was eventually deposited and funds withdrawn from my account. This hurt me twice because I, too, had added the money back into my checkbook. Dumb but true.

• Jenny
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You can certainly try. The check is stale dated, though, and most likely the bank won't accept it.

• No you can’t unless it doesn’t have expiration date.

• B
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No. By now the escheat (unclaimed property ) of the check has taken place, you need to contact the state office of unclaimed property (for example in Illinois, it would be in the capital city of Springfield, Illinois and the office is called Office of the Treasurer Unclaimed Property. That's how you get the money.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

No way. Checks are no good after 6 months. Either get it re-issued, if you can or forget it. From 2009 - it was probably turned over to the state. You may have to contact them and go through their procedure in getting it.

• 4 weeks ago

While most checks don't legally expire, banks ARE NOT required to honor checks they consider stale, and 6 months is the cutoff most banks consider stale. I would be SHOCKED if you can find anyone willing to accept a 10 year old check.

Source(s): 21 year bank employee.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No, you need to try to contact the issuer of the check and ask them to replace it. First check your state's unclaimed funds list, and see if they turned the money over to the state - if they did, you claim it from there.

• 4 weeks ago

A bank does not have to cash a check after 6 months. After 6 months they may cash it if you can explain why you waited and the issuer OKs it.

• TedEx
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No. If the account is closed, the check will bounce

• 4 weeks ago

no you cannot....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.