Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

Can My Roomate Sue Me For Unpaid Rent? ?

I talked my friend and his pregnant girlfriend to move in with me into a house since they were looking for one anyway. So we all signed the lease and it was all good until their kid was born. He only cried in the middle of the night and the older he gets the more toys they buy. One night, about halfway through the lease, I just felt like it was my time so I moved out with my new girlfriend without even telling them and signed a lease with her in our new apartment. They figured out I was gone and was upset. They won't take me off the lease because "realtor will check their credit again" but they expect me to still pay my part of the rent. I ignore him but he still tries to text me. After about 4 months of me not paying, he called me and said hes going to take me to court for what I haven't paid once the lease ends. Can he even do this or is it just a bluff? How can I win if he does take me to court? 

• ron h

Yep.  You signed the lease. Your former friends are paying rent that they expected you to pay.

You are on the lease - and remain liable for the rent. He can, and he'll likely win. You didn't even give notice that you were moving out.

You can't win and you won't win.  And you will end up owing a whole lot more - interest, penalties, probably attorney's fees too, and possibly treble damages - three times as much as face value.  You owe your portion of rent through the end of the lease, and longer unless you property give notice to the landlord.  What makes you think your roommates have the control to remove you from the lease?  Who do you think they are - God?  You know they are not the landlord.  And landlords do NOT remove people from leases.  You are bound by the terms and conditions of it.  A lease is a CONTRACT.

Yes your roommate can sue you

• DEBS

You owe the rent. They can take you to court. If they do, they will win.

(I really hope this is a troll. I feel bad for you if it's not.)

Yes, and he is smart to handle it that way (at the end of the lease). All he has to do to win is show the signed lease and proof you paid your share at least once (which he likely can do more than once. The bad news is you will lose … quickly. The good news is that he won't be able to sue you for your share of any utilities during the time you abandoned the property.

Your ex-roommates are not being jerks to sue you either. They are just demanding what everyone in the adult world demand from you. That you live up to the commitment you make to others. In this case, to pay your share of the rent. That is not vindictive, just a demand you be and honorable adult.

• Eva

You won't win. You signed the lease and left without notice. You owe rent to the end of the lease term.

They can and they can win. The only way you can be taken off the lease - have your financial responsibility removed - is if ALL parties to the lease agree to it. That means them and the landlord. Of course you agree to it, but if they do not, you remain on the lease and you remain financially responsible. They do not want to, nor do the have to, re-qualify to the rent the place on their own, which they probably won't be able to do.

So, it's not a bluff. You breached your agreement. Not by moving out. No law says you can't move out. You breached your agreement by not paying your share. And you can be sued for that, and I don't see that you have any legal defense. Of course, they can't stop you from moving back in for the remaining time on the lease. But if you stopped paying halfway through on a year lease, you are going to owe your share of the rent for six months, and if the agreement included paying for utilities, you will owe your share of the utility service charges, something that must be paid even if there is no usage. You would not have to pay for usage that was not yours. Let's say the electric company charges $15 a month just to provide service to the address. You owe your share of that.

Wow, talk about being an entitled asshole. Your name is on the lease and what, you think you can just pack up and go? Welcome to the real world, jerk. You cannot just up and go. You have to deal with the consequences now. You left them, high and dry, without giving them a warning or a chance to look for a new tenant to replace you, so yeah, YOU ARE 100% RESPONSIBLE FOR UNPAID RENT.

You have a snowball's chance in hell of winning and I hope they take you for all you've got and them some, you asshat.

Yes he can for screwing them out of your portion asshole.