No car day.?

Would this work? For a day? Maybe even a day each month? Double the buses. Free bus rides. No cars. And free lime scooters and bikes? For our environment. Why will it not work?

• Edna

Why won't it work? No city buses within 50 miles of my home. AND, there are too many people who HAVE to use a car or some sort of vehicle every day in their line of work: Commuters going back and forth to work. cross-country truck drivers, FedEx drivers, United Van Lines, Greyhound Bus Lines, mail carriers, policemen, phone and electrical linemen, the cable guy, etc. Those people can't use a scooter or a bike.

• RICK

No bus stop within 5 miles of my home

Even if it was closer I ain't spending over an hour on a bus when its a 10 minute drive

Bikes are no good in inclemrnt weather

Then there ars people like my brother who live 20 miles from the nearest neighbor

Because most people don't care and it would just cause problems if people all quit driving like that.

I doubt something like that would work well in my town. I live in a mostly conservative town in NorCal of 66k people. Most people drive their own car and despise taking public transit for varying reasons. As a matter of fact, we only have a small and slow bus system. It takes way too long to get around town by bus so its just much faster driving wherever you want to go.

I took the bus to school at a nearby community college 2 towns away and it was miserable. Its only 7 miles away but it took over an hour each way. In my own car, I can get there in 25 minutes tops.

For 30 days a month, you would half the buses sat around doing nothing.

Have you considered the environmental impact of building all those extra buses?

• emily1 month agoReport

Where I live. It looks like they just have lots just sitting there. It would definitely work here. The longest car ride around my city is probably 1-2 hours on a really busy day

• Erik

Lots of different reasons it wouldn't work. But big picture, what would be the point? One day a month isn't going to make a significant difference.

• Edna
      4 weeks agoReport

Emily - it's impractical.

• Scott

Your idea won't work for a lot of people. For one, the closest bus stop to my home is 8 miles away. It would take me almost 2 hours to get to work on the bus, versus about 35 minutes by car.

• emily1 month agoReport

Maybe they should make electric cars you can hire and on this day it be super cheap. Maybe you could even use your points you have accumulated during the month from buying petrol, coffees to go etc.