Is it legal for a deli to mark up a suggested price printed on the label?

i went to a local deli for sprite, but when i passed through the isle i noticed something ive never seen before. a honeybun usually always has a suggested price of 50 cents printed on the wrapper (at least this specific brand) but this deli had covered up the "suggested price" with a sticker that said 75 cents. is it legal for them to change the price like this? maybe not because its only "suggested" but id like to know for sure.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I don’t think this is legal

• keerok
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

What part of "suggested" don't you understand?

• ron h
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

yep it's legal. They can also give it away if they want to. And you can shop elsewhere.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes it is legal. The "Suggested price" is "suggested" . If the market wants to sell it for Double the price(or triple or quad) that is UP TO THEM. It is up to you to buy it. If you don't then they lose a sale and the product ROTS ON THE SHELF until the store has to throw it away at 100% loss.

. The manufacturer does not know the overhead costs of every business. Some may sell it for 1/2 the suggested price. You got to shop around and get lucky.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Yes it is legal. It is a "suggested" retail price where it can sell for more or less than that amount. A good example would be video cards, where the top of the line Nvidia card has a suggested retail in the $600 range, but due to bitcoin mining, the video cards became in short supply driving the price to almost triple suggested retail price. You sell products for whatever you think you can get. Suggested retail is just to give some people a clue as to what it could go for. We often see lower than suggested retail because there is plenty of supply and plenty of competition selling the same product so they have to lower their prices to be competitive.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, it is legal. They can price them anywhere they want. They're a small business, akin to a convenience store and must make money on every transaction. They may pay fifty cents for them too if they don't buy them wholesale.

• 4 weeks ago

yes. this is America and they may charge the price they like

• 4 weeks ago

Yes. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be the "suggested" price, it would be the mandatory price.

• 4 weeks ago

it dont sound like it

• 4 weeks ago

damn ig ur right

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.