Can finding animal skulls be a bad omen or am I just stupid?

Recently, my brother found an entire deer skull on the edge of the woods by our house. It’s been two days and we’ve already found another skull. A bird skull this time. I believe it’s a robin. Could this be a bad omen? Or am I reading into it too much?

Best Answer

Reading too much into it.

Animals and birds and fish/turtles/etc. die outside. MOST of the bones are utilized by rodents for their calcium, which is why the woods aren't filled with dead animal bones, they get used by the other wildlife.

A skull at woods edge would indicate the deer was hit by a car and decomposed there. Probably very quickly. I once pushed a newly dead opossum under a bush and covered it with leaves, within 2 weeks it was cleared bone, no skin or flesh left. I gave it a bath in 50/50 bleach/water and it turned blinding white. A robin that was uneaten by predators would decompose down to just the skull and hip bone, all the other bones are so thin/delicate that they pretty much disappear. Sounds like insects did the job on that one pretty good.

Collect them, donate them to any vet clinic or school or nature center.

I would find the occasional rat skull or bird skull along Lake Michigan's shoreline. I've got a fox, three raccoon, two deer, two opossum and one skunk skull I display on my bookcase at home.

You're reading way too much into it.

I'm sure finding skulls of certain critters is a 'bad omen' in some cultures, because every culture has their superstitions and omens. I'm half Irish by ancestry, and I'm pretty sure my people invented that crap. My late Granny knew them all, in fact I think she even wrote a few of them. She used to hold her breath when driving past a cemetery, throw spilled salt over her shoulder, wouldn't go near a broken mirror if her life depended on it, and constantly pointed out stuff that would cause bad luck. She never knew exactly how bad the luck would be (losing your keys for 5 minutes is bad luck, so is having a piano fall on you) or when it would happen, she just knew what would cause it.

See how that stuff works? See how easy it is? A superstition is something everyone 'knows' is true, but not one person knows how they know it.

It could be a lot of things, including you being overly superstitious.

• marty

You're reading to much into it. We have a ranch and my sons and a couple daughters were always bringing home skulls they found when riding the horses. Animals die all the time, I find it strange there aren't more being found.

• molli1 month agoReport

Thanks! I figured I probably was.