Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Is society generally more accepting of women expressing their standards for a male partner than vice versa?

Sure, men expressing their standards for a female partner is more prevalent, but it’s commonly looked down upon as shallow.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, because male bashing is a pastime these days, while women stink at taking what they dish out.

• 1 month ago

I think society is more accepting of certain types of standards for a partner, but I don't think it's a gendered thing, except to the extent that men vs women tend to have somewhat different standards for a partner.

Wanting a partner who's intelligent, who's financially solvent, who's kind, who's emotionally compatible with you, and so on are things that we tend not to look down on, whoever is expressing those opinions. Wanting a partner who matches a laundry list of physical attributes (eg "tall", "thin", a specific hair color, etc), who's rich, who's significantly younger than you are, and the like are things we tend to see as shallow, again, whoever's expressing those preferences. And I think more men than women want, or at least are vocal about wanting, things on the second list.

• 1 month ago

Definitely, women are practically cheered when they say they want a man who's "tall, dark and handsome".

• 1 month ago

That's because women are emotionally hurt and can't tolerate it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Society is generally more accepting of women expressing their standards about EVERYTHING than vice versa.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

When a man says he wants a pretty woman he's considered just as superficial as is a woman who says she wants a handsome man. However if both of them have standards for education, life accomplishment, income, prestige, et al, they're just being practical. So it's less about what gender is laying down the standards and more about what those standards are. Obviously physical attractiveness alone is never the basis for a lasting relationship.

• hi
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

what percentage of men give a damn about a woman's social status, or education or any of those superficial things? men don't even care about a woman's height or race.. Yet somehow men are the ones labeled as "superficial".

• 1 month ago

I agree with your question but not with your subsequent comment... You said " men expressing their standards for a female partner is more prevalent" ... Are you kidding men? only a non intelligent man would dare to be vocal about their preferences for women of certain heights or races... I can't imagine a white man publicly saying "I like Chinese women" if he did he would be accused of having an "asian fetish" ... Similarly if a man expresses a preferences for skinny women he is labeled as a "bigot"... yet it's perfectly fine for women to be vocal, very vocal about their preferences for tall, white men.

• 1 month ago

Yes.  It's known as hypergamy.  It's accepted that women get to "date up" and say so, it's not acceptable for men to do so.  For example, it's perfectly acceptable for a female nurse to say she wants to marry a  male doctor, but if a male doctor says he wants a woman with the same education and income potential as him, he's said to be too picky and greedy.

As the saying goes for women - why not fall in love with a rich man?  The reverse however isn't acceptable to say.

• Elana
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Is it?

Or is it perhaps that men so consistently end up wanting whatever the standard of beauty is at the time, over pretty much everything else, that listeners get annoyed at the repetition.

If I know your gender and I predict what you'll like and, surprise surprise, you like it, you talking about it may seem like a waste of time.

Particularly when the things that you like are things women have little control over.

• Anonymous1 month agoReport

As I stated in the details section of the question, men expressing their standards for a female partner is more prevalent, but it’s commonly looked down upon as shallow.

• 1 month ago

maybe cuz u dont hear women talking about their sexual preferences as often as men do, so thats why people are more accepting of it.

• somegirl
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

men always talk about their preferences lol.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.