Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

Can a person move into a one bedroom apartment on their own making $12 an hour?

I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

I work full time.

Best Answer

You might be able to get just a room making that much, but probably not a full-blown apartment and certainly not a one bed. The cheapest I saw, just browsing, was $900 for a studio. They usually require someone make at least three times their rent amount. And taking $12 hourly, without taking out taxes, you're making less than $900 every two weeks. Yikes.

It depends on the state, however, and county. I only made 2 times the rent and they still approved me, JUST me, even though my husband and I together made four times the rent amount (we moved out of state, he didn't have a job at that time). You can go poke around your area. A lot of what you see on the rental sites are complexes that pay for advertising, so there are just as many that don't. You just have to drive around and see if there is something cheaper.

if you look hard, probably yes.

Depends how many hours they work, and what the rent is for that one bedroom apartment.

No. No way. Landlord require monthly income to be three to four times your monthly income. You are not going to find a place anywhere that cheap.

jzhcudhfhchcjrh

• Judy

$12 an hour if you work full time is roughly $24,000 a year or $2000 a month. Using the common rule of thumb that your income should be 3 times the rent, that would be around $665 a month. In many places, not all, you could find an apartment for that.

Where? What's the monthly rent? Utilities? If you work 40 hrs/wk at $12/hr, that's only $480 weekly gross. Where are you going to find an apartment for less than $500/month? By the time you add utilities, even at $500 or less rent, you are going to be in serious financial trouble too fast.

Depending on rents in your area, you might not even be able to afford a studio (one-room) apartment, maybe not even rent a room in someone's home or apartment.

• DEBS

There are no legal restrictions to this. If you're talking about whether you can handle it financially, you need to look at how much a one bedroom costs and then do a budget. Generally, you don't want to be spending more than 1/3 your income on housing. That's not a hard number though. It often isn't reality when you're first starting out.

• Mark

It depends on where you live. In a place like North Dakota, definitely. In if NYC, no.

God!!then it if that one does,it is looking like a joke.because you can say it he hires it for one else, but not not make a money for his own.