Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Lost my book?

I went to a library at my school and checked out a book. After a couple weeks, one day I thought I put it in my backpack, but when I checked my backpack 2 or 3 days later it wasn’t there! I don’t know if I left it at my school, but what will happen? What are he consequences? Everyone knows me as a good, responsible kid, so I’m freaking out and feel like crying. 

Go to the library and tell the librarian exactly what you've told us here. No, wait - FIRST check whether someone has handed it in to the office at your school. When you're sure you've looked everywhere you've been, THEN go to the library and tell them.

It happens. It's not the end of the world. They would MUCH rather you told them now, than pretended it never happened.

And you never know: it's quite possible that someone has found it and returned it already.

• Marli

I work in a library. It's not what we want, but we know losing books happen. Tell your librarian. You might get extra time to hunt for the book. If it's not found, you'll probably pay the cost of the book and a fee to replace it or remove it from the catalogue.

Oh, for pete's sake, kid. Everybody who uses libraries loses a book from time to time. If it doesn't turn up, you'll probably have to pay for a new copy, plus an extra fee to pay for the librarian's time involved in replacing it, but it's nothing to cry over.

Why don't you ask the clerk or staff at the library? It's happened before, people lose books, even adults. I've done it. What happened to me was I paid for the book and a fine, too. Another time they forgave my fines. So you don't know what will happen until you ask, but they aren't going to kill you, these things happen.

• Zac Z

Like the others have said, talk to the librarian.

Rest assured, you're not the first person who lost a book and you won't the last one.

The librarian won't skin you alive; I guess they will appreciate your honesty rather than being fed a ridiculous tall tale.

• Cogito

Tell the librarian - apologise and ask if anyone has handed it in.

It's not a huge deal. They may ask you to pay for a replacement, but it's not going to cost a huge amount if they do.

• martin

Tell the library about it. There's a chance you left it somewhere, and someone picked it up and maybe returned it to the library.