Will damage to my own car affect my insurance premiums (No Claims bonus)?

Last night I did something very unbearable, I was reversing into my driveway and bumped my tail door into a skip on my driveway, this left a minor dent and scratches. I'm looking to claim back on my insurance excess, but I'm scared this will effect my No claims bonus?


Bearing in mind claim money will be used for the repair

12 Answers

  • Neil
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Any claim (which this would be) will affect your no-claims bonus, and your future premiums.

    Your future premiums (but not your no-claims) can also be affected if you notify your insurer about the accident, even if you don't actually claim.

    Also be aware that some insurers will not cover damage that occurs on your own property (I have never understood why).

    If you can afford to, it may be best to pay for the repair yourself and avoid involving your insurance. You will need to balance the costs of the repair, your excess (the amount of any repair costs that you will have to pay even if you claim), and the cost of losing your NCB. If your insurance is only £200 per year, you have a protected NCB, a £200 excess, and the repair costs over £2000 it is worth claiming. If your insurance is £2000 per year, your excess is £300, your NCB is unprotected and the cost of the repair is £400, then it isn't worth claiming.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Yeah.  You got to understand what insurance is -a business. A profitable insurance pays out little in claims and only takes in payments is the way they want it to work.

    . When you make a claim, you are taking some of that money in their piggy bank, so that puts a"mark"against you.   They don't like you anymore.

    .  Now on your insurance form there is something called "deductible".  What that is, is that you pay that amount first out of your pocket...for the repair. The insurance pays for anything ABOVE that amount.  (The higher the deductible, the lower the insurance) because that means the less likely that the insurance will have to fork out any cash.

    You have the mistaken impression that insurance gives you cash?  That money, if insurance pays it out goes directly to the autobody shop...as the body shop bills the insurance...if it enters to "above the deductible range".  

    Your damage sounds like it is coming out of your pocket.  Insurance does not get involved.

    . Meaning, you could get the blemish fix on your car as the body shop would be able to see the damage and give you an estimate on the cost of repair.

    For me, my car will not look new forever, so minor dings and dents just what I own.  My car sticks out in a sea of silver cars of the same make.  I leave the minor stuff alone.  Most of the car is made of plastic or aluminum so it won't rust. So, no worries.

    No claims bonus means you have not asked the insurance for money because of a car crash...so they give you a discount on the rate you pay/year.

    Making a claim means you lose the discount.  In many cases the minor blemishes is not worth fixing, I can still drive the car and it is still safe. 

  • 2 months ago

    There is a reason it's called a no claims bonus, and I'll bet you can guess what that reason is. Hint: It's got something to do with claims or no claims.

  • May
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

    Do the math....claim vs not claim

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    As long as you don't make a claim no harm no foul. Compare your deductible with an estimate to repair and figure out if it is worth it to claim the damage.

  • 2 months ago

    Yes - you make any claim in the UK then you lose the no claim bonus because you have made a claim. You will have an insurance excess that you said you would pay the first £200 or £500 or whatever.. A good idea is to get a mobile body repair person to give you a quote. They do the work in your driveway or while you are parked up at work and normally do a great job. They will most likely charge you less than your excess. This plus losing the no claims bonus means this route is a no brainer - maybe somebody like https://www.chipsaway.co.uk

  • g
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Depends on a couple of thinks, Ben.

    First off, you would be filing an at fault claim which is never a situation you want to be in with your insurance provider.

    Secondly, whether you should file or not will depend greatly on the cost of the repair versus your set deductible cost.


  • 2 months ago

    dont think you know how insurance works ...so its like this ..supposing you have an excess of £500 ...this means for any claim ..you pay the first £500...yes if its not your fault your insurance company can claim it back for you off the other insurers ....but as there is no other insured in your case then must pay the first £500 ...and unless you have a protected ncb then your premiums will rise ...and even protected i doubt if your premium will remain the same ...you cant trust insurance companies to play fair

  • 2 months ago

    If you have collision coverage, you will have a deductible. Find out if the cost of repairs is substantially more than the deductible, if so use the insurance.

    Source(s): Retired claims adjuster.
  • 2 months ago

    If you submit a claim to your insurance then the answer is DUH

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.