When you have a broken neck requiring a halo, how long does it have to stay on?

Best Answer

Depends upon the severity and the age/health of the patient.

It has to stay on until the fracture has totally stabilised. So for children up to around puberty it’s 4 weeks, for teenagers and young adults generally around 6 weeks, and full-grown adults a minimum of 8 weeks and can be 12 weeks for geriatric adults and also for post-menopausal women who are not on any form of HRT.

I had a compression fracture of C6 in September 1986. Ideally I needed a halo but they weren’t commonly used in the UK at the time. I was restricted to lying flat on my back wearing a surgical collar for at least 7 weeks, and I spent another 2 weeks in hospital allowed to sit upright wearing a foam collar.

So I’m happy not to have the telltale halo mounting scars on my forehead!

Depending on the severity and location but most have this on for 6-12 weeks,,,

• patty

ask Beyoncé???????????????????????????

• kelvin

as long as the doctor says it has too stay on

Depends on the severity of the break and what happened. My grandpa messed his neck up pretty good and had to have a halo on for 10 weeks, then physical therapy for another 6 months, but of course, his age was a huge factor.