Anonymous

If your on ssi disability can you have like netflix without losing benefits?

seriously, if your on ssi,snap benefits and medicaid can you lose benefits if you subscribe to netflix? need to know

You don’t really have spare money for Netflix unless you have family or a gf/bf to help support you since they don’t let you have a savings account either. But I don’t see why you would lose benefits for it. Also people get mad at you if you do anything for yourself if you’re on ssi. 

It is fine and I see people on hear say it is a wel-fare program and think that way but their the one that think the rich should be tax like 75 to 85% of their money and most of us disabled don't even handle our funds it is dune threw an CMH rep or DHS rep and then part of it they put in a fund for an vacation when a community volunteer takes us and we use it with them and this is how life as I saw it growing up in shared living and other housing threw my life and I am just saying if others read it because we lived this way in a group living and now back at home and caretaking doing all things. I think that best answers funds shared living and never having to worry about the ssi benefits if you have the workers help.

• Judith

Of course you can. The only time social security becomes concerned with how someone spends their benefits is if their basic and necessary needs aren't being met - that means shelter, food, utilities, clothing, meds, etc. If that is the case someone usually contacts SS and SS looks into the possibility that they have become incapable of managing money appropriately and they will assign someone to manage it for them.

Otherwise, SS doesn't care how you spend your SSI. This is especially true of people on SSI who are living in the household of another which means that they aren't paying their fair share of household expenses; e.g. rent/mortgage, utilities and food. The maximum monthly benefit is $514 (or thereabouts) and the SSI beneficiary can spend it anyway he/she sees fit. And actually that is more spending money than I have each month after I pay my bills and buy groceries and other necessities. And for those getting the maximum of $771 a month - if they can afford cable and the internet and want Netflix or Acorn TV or BritBox or whatever - more power to them.

SS isn't going to ask anyone about that.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
  • Lita

Yes, you can. My youngest sister is SSI because she's disabled and Netflix is her one indulgence. The government isn't going to track if you spent funds on Netflix.

sure...that is cheap compared to a lot of other entertainment....it is reasonable to have a small entertainment budget.

if you were spending a lot of fun and then couldn't pay for food and housing, you would be assigned a payee, but spending a little is expected.

• They do not keep track of how you spend your money. You can buy whatever you can afford, given your circumstances. For many Netflix is a smart form of entertainment versus others ways people spend their money.

You can spend your disability money on anything that you want to spend your money on as long as it's not criminal purchases.

• .

The basic streaming plan costs $8.99 per month and the government isn't keeping tabs on how you spend your money.

• marty

Absolutely you can. You won't lose your benefits