Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Why a lot of Americans forget that the French helped them during the Revolutionary war?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Most Americans are poorly educated. They know nothing about US history, science, economics, international relations, technology, etc. Too many of them get their information from crackpot TV and radio programs, or nonsense disseminated by extremists.

• Fred
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because Americans like to take all the credit for winning wars. In Europe during WW2 the British and Russians did most of the fighting with America turning up only after Britain had been fighting the Germans basically on their own for over 2 years, and although they could not defeat the Germans on their own did a brilliant job of holding the Germans from achieving their ambitions. Americans turn up over 2 years later and except for the US Air force did little to mid 1944 there then claim they were the ones who beat the Nazis with little recognition of the Brilliant work done by the British commonwealth forces and the Russians with some help from the Americans. Yes American forces were there and fought hard and well but on D-day 3 of the 5 beaches the allies attacked in Normandy were attacked by British Commonwealth forces but the Americans seem to claim they did it all on their own.

NATO forces from something like 50 countries supported the USA in Korea, Vietnam and most other wars America had dragged them into yet only seem to acknowledge what their forces did. Even in the Pacific during WW2 America rarely mentions the work done by the Australians, British and New Zealanders to destroy the Japanese ability to fight. The American forces were the big forces in the Pacific and took on the lions share of destroying the Japanese forces which they did a brilliant job of, but other allied countries did some very spectacular fighting as well. General MacArthur was a shocking self promoter. He pulled the Australian troops who had virtually driven the Japanese into the sea at Buna in New Guinea and replaced them with American troops who had been poorly trained at the time. There were stories of American soldiers who would not risk advancing and even stories of American troops dropping their rifles and running into the Jungle so Australian troops had to be sent back in toe finish the Japanese off. MacArthur wanted it to be his American troops taking the credit for the victory for his own future political ambitions and apparently was furious that they failed and Australians had to do the job these poorly trained American troops could not. MacArthur made sure all American troops were well trained after that so he never had to suffer such humiliation again. I even heard MacArthur filmed a restage of the landing for retaking of the Philippines so it looked as so he was in the first boat landing so it looked like he was a General leading from the front when in fact he wasn't even there on the real invasion day.

So my guess is as usual Americans are only interested in what Americans do and have little interest in telling how other countries helped them win their victories.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

But for the U.K. starting WWII, that's about 14M people who died, & $B's spent to save "All Alone's" tush. If Brits go elsewhere & people tell them to "F- off", this is a big part of the reason why. Next time you start a war, the rest of us may remember we have paint to watch as it dries.

• 1 month ago

Unfortunately, there are a lot of gaps in the current history curriculum. When British America determined they could stand no more of George III's repeated injury and usurpation, the Representatives of the United States of America in General Congress Assembled sent diplomats to France, who wanted revenge for the loss of Canada in the Seven Years' War, and Spain, Great Britain's primary adversary in the Americas, not long before declaring independency 4 July 1776. A well-executed Continental defensive victory in the Hudson Valley (the decisive point was the Battle of Saratoga) convinced Louis XV. and Carlos V. to mobilize for global war.

France sent a massive fleet of first-class men of war under the Comte de Rochambeau to land an army under the Marquis de la Fayette on a Continental-held coastline and then stop British reinforcements from reaching the Earl of Cornwallis in Virginia, while Spain dispatched two armies from the Caribbean and Nueva España to tie down British assets in the Mississippi Valley. In a defensive campaign in the Blue Ridge Mountains of the Carolinas, Continental colonel Morgan eliminated an entire British army with a brilliant counterattack at Cowpens, robbing Cornwallis of forces to deal with the new French threat before Yorktown.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

because they are simply uneducated and hypocritical, thats why.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It mostly comes from history not completely being taught in high school.

• 1 month ago

It was the French who beat Cornwall at Yorktown

Americans still believe edison was an inventor when he never invented anything

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That's a myth, do you know how many cities, town, counties, streets, etc. across America are named Lafayette or Fayette in honor of the Marquis de Lafayette ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_places_named...

• Killmouseky
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

No, it's NOT a "myth." Those places got their names long ago. Today, almost none of them are even pronounced properly. Very few people have any idea how those names came to be. If I hear one more "Stoobenville", Ohio, I might turn psycho-killer. "SHtoYbenville", you cretins!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I'm guessing some think America single handedly beaten great Britain on their own.

• jimmy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not only France but Spain and the Dutch Republic also. I can't think of a war the USA have won without allies.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

The War on Truth: Easily their greatest victory. When I lived in Windsor, Ont., I made my U.S. cousins read the U.S. Naval Institute's "Proceedings" magazine detailed account of how Fort Detroit surrendered to a "British" force only 1/2 the size. Even the ones who were teachers didn't know.

• Thorn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

they didn't study history very well

• Killmouseky
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Thus "History"Channel, Hollywood movies & the popularity of comic books like "Sgt. Rock" in the 1960's. To paraphrase the Mexican bandit in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madres", "History? We doan need no stinkin' history!"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.