Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

What’s your opinion of the Taurus 357 vs Ruger 357?

the .357 is a great caliber

Both are great but with the porting the Taurus is easier to shoot.  But porting also makes shooting in the dark difficult. Ive had both but I think I would trust the ruger to stand the test of time but the Taurus could last as well, it just can't be beaten up like the ruger can!

I have more faith in Ruger than Taurus, I never want buy any Taurus, In .357 Magnum prefer Smith & Wesson "M-586".

• Adam D

I've shot a Taurus .357 (can't remember which model), but never owned a Taurus handgun. I currently own a Ruger GP100.

The Taurus seemed like a fine gun, it gave us no problems at the range that particular day. Seemed to shoot accurately, though I'm much better with a handgun now than I was back then. But you hear lots of stories about customer service issues and quality control problems. It seems to have gotten better (less stories) but still isn't quite sorted out.

For such similar seeming guns, the Ruger just feels different to my hands. It's tank. Holding it, you get the sense that you've got a tool that is never going to wear out. When you run out of ammo, go use it to roof your house or change a spare tire. It's plenty accurate, I killed a doe with it at 45 yards last year, and the bullet went right where I put it (a little higher than I meant to, which was my fault).

It could be me getting caught up a bit with the brand name, but the Ruger just seems more reliable.

While Ruger cannot figure out how to make a reliable semi-automatic pistol in modern form, they make good revolvers (though their triggers are generally horrible compared to a S&W or a Colt) they have strong and reliable actions. I wish their SR series could say the same. Well actually their ejection was wrong and they knew about it.

• Richard
      1 month agoReport

I have several Ruger semi auto's and all work and eject as they should.

• Robin

both are fine but the calibre is not the best although it is poplular

Taurus are a cheap service pistol. At a lot less money than a Ruger, they are perfectly fine if just sitting on your belt like a security guard and maybe only fire it to qualify once a year. Taurus, even new in the box - will almost never, ever appreciate in value.

Ruger is the better choice because the guns use stronger, more expensive alloys and better engineering. Ruger would be the pistol you buy to learn to shoot and then keep for hunting or self defense. Doing that with a Taurus will wear it out.

Ruger is the better choice because like nicer Colts, Kimber and Sigs they appreciate in value. I paid $512 for my current big bore super Redhawk years ago. They sell used for $790 to $890 now on gunbroker. New are close to $1080 now.

Taurus - is fine sitting in your bed side table. With a low ammo count they are just as good as anything else. It's not made to spend long weekends at the range firing box after box of ammo. Around the time you become a good shot - it will be falling apart, loosy goosy, and you will be buying a new gun.

• L.N.

I have an old GP100 in .357 and it's a great revolver. I don't own any Taurus wheel guns, but I have a US made .380 that is a great pistol, and a Brazilian made 9mm that looks nice, but is a piece of crap. I think th models made in Brazil are inferior.

Both decent makers with a number of models each. Don't dislike any, but I am a 1911 fan and been carrying one over 3 decades.

My younger brother carries his Ruger .357,,nice gun.

• WB

Ruger is superior, hands down. Taurus is hit or miss, with lack of warranty support (in the past, Tarus used to be better).