Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Can my landlady now tell me I need to start cutting the neighbor's hedge from hanging over on my side?

First off, the hedge isn't hers, it's the neighbors. She has announced to me she would like help from me in me cutting it back so it doesn't hang over on my side. I don't want to do this & don't feel I need to do this. How should I deal with her on this issue? She now has now put rocks in the front yard so there's no need for a gardener or having to water. It looks really ugly.

I also do not have hedge clippers & shouldn't have to go out and purchase them. If I cut back this huge hedge that runs all along the side of the house, it will take up all my room in the one trash can I have. I don't think this is fair or right. It doesn't say anything about this in the rental agreement. The neighbor planted the hedge after I moved in. The neighbor should keep the hedge trimmed so it doesn't grow onto my side, or the landlady should pay someone to do it.

Landlady can't kick me out because I live in California in a duplex the landlady doesn't live in. I'm glad she doesn't live here because she's a PITA, and because she can't kick me out or raise my rent now for another 14 months.

• Ramona
    Best Answer

Look at your lease. Does it say that you are responsible for the grounds? If it doesn't, then it's the landlords' responsibility to maintain the grounds.

• Ramona
      1 month agoReport

In any case, the asker further detailed that her lease has 14 months left so she signed a two-year lease.

Don't worry about what you cut that's from a neighbour's hedge overhanging 'your' property. Legally you are supposed to hand what you cut off, back.

Check the terms of your Rental Agreement.

If you don't want to do it, then hire a gardener to come around occasionally & do it. It's not a big deal.

• Maxi

First read your termed contract about what it states about outside and whose responsibility it is, if you are month to month then with one months notice your landlord can change any terms and yes you are now responsible for the hedge regardless of if you like that or not and if you fail to do it, you are then in breach of contract and that could get you notice to leave... you pay rent and you have to abide by the terms, if you fail to do so you are in breach and breach means finding somewhere else to live.... you have been reading too many news reports about 'rent control' instead of reading landlord/tenant laws about yours and the landlord responsibilities, it is a two way street, not a one way street...........you sound very immature to the point it sounds like a childish teenager question, many teenagers think they know everything when reality is they still have a lot to learn

• R P

Is yard work your responsibility? If so, trim the hedge so that you don't get hit with either a bill to do so or an eviction notice due to a lease violation.

I don't understand why you think state-wide rent control is going to protect you if you don't abide by your lease.

Your questions ,answers and added comments are very fishy I think you might be a troll

Here's the legal view on this: Read your lease to see what is says about maintenance of the grounds. If the lease is silent on the issue, it's the landlord's responsibility. Point this out to her.

If there is no lease, you are a month to month tenant. And, she CAN tell you what to do. It is her new rule, which she can impose with advance notice as required by the state. If you live in a 30 days state and she told you today, the new rule takes effect December 1st.

You can refuse any new terms and conditions a landlord has when you are a month to month tenant. However, when you do, you are, at the same time, giving your notice to vacate.

So, with most month to month agreements being unwritten, confusion and miscommunication often take place. Have a conversation with her. Ask her if she is making this a condition of your tenancy, and if she is, tell her you refuse and you will be vacating by the end of the following month (or second month) that your state gives you as the notice period.

This addresses the 'can she tell me' question. It doesn't have to be as complicated as I have made it sound, but I covered the legal aspects. Simply point out that it's the neighbor's responsibility to maintain their hedge and you don't see it as your job. See what she says.

• R P
      1 month agoReport

State wide rent control has nothing to do with you not abiding by your lease OR if you are on a month-to-month rental agreement.

What does your lease say? Do yo like the house and want to stay there? Not doing these things for your LL is a good way to get kicked out.

Do it or be prepared for a difficult relationship with your landlady.😉

@ Anonymous , I looked at your question history and I'm confused are you the tenant or landlord ? ? ?

*Now you hide your question history *

You could always move & find a place that doesn't have a neighbors hedge that grows onto your side. I doubt you would have to do this very often, so I don't see why you would have a problem doing it. The landlady will most likely raise your rent in order to pay someone to do it, so if I were you I would stop whining about it & just do it.

• Tavy

I don't want to do,it wa wa. You sound like a sulky kid. How long would it take 10 minutes of your time ? Not my hedge, not going to do it.

Perhaps one day you might need help and people will walk away.