Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 month ago

Is it a violation to ask a question and then answer your own question?

Update:

I just seen someone do that. I have never asked a question and answered it also

Update 2:

I reported that person

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

Yes, it is. It's a way of gaining points but also trying to convince people of your position, which means that you weren't really interested in other people's answers in the first place.

It's not infrequently done by people who are clearly not quite compos mentis. We have a lot of those around here.

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No its not a Violation to Post a Answer on your Own Question

Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, it's not a violation to post an answer to your own question with the same account you used to ask it (since that account cannot be awarded BA). That's why it became possible years ago for question-asker's to post in the answer area of their own question (it was not previously possible). The idea was that if they happened to find the answer to their question before anyone else posted a correct/helpful answer, they could post it so that the question would have an accurate answer (since the site was designed to be a place others could come and seek information).

If a user posts a question and then answers that question with a different YA account they have, THAT is a violation known as point gaming (not uncommon for some low level users trying to level-up). However, it's not always easy to know for sure that an account that posts an answer is also owned by the user who posted the question.

• 1 month ago

No. It is not a violation as long as the answer is not part of the question. If it was not allowed Yahoo would not allow you to do it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Probably not a violation but totally childish.

If someone is going to answer their own question posted here then why did they bother to post it?

• Zirp
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

for other people who want to know the answer. duh!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There are a number of trolls on here with many accounts. They will put up a lewd or offensive post, then 'answer' with their sockpuppet accounts. Feel free to report their answers, comments, and posts.

• 1 month ago

It might not be violation unless you ask deliberately for advertising. When you started asking question, it is assumed that you do not know the answer. Later you may discover answer through specific source and may let know others about it.

• LAN
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

This is one of the reasons he has me blocked. Because he used to come after me with at least two accounts after calling him out for constantly posting about his obsession with being a pedophile.

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

yes that is a violation and it's called point gaming

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.